Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wedding gift for a friend

Quote Originally Posted by brian zawatsky View Post
    ...Any suggestions?
    With that grain, it won't need much 'in the wood' to pop - and I bet it will have plenty of depth with virtually any finish with even a little oil in it .

My favorite for B.Walnut is(was) Formby's tung oil, but it has changed(?) in the last few years. I haven't kept up with the corporate side of the product line, so not sure of the cause. This is if you want it to finish dark!

To get a lighter color finish, but nearly same depth, I've taken to just using clear shellac.

Hi Brian,

I like a coat of oil followed by clear shellac with wax on top for both appearance and feel. Here's a desk I made for my son with that finish combo and it has held up pretty well.

Best,

Chris

IMG_1931.jpg
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Blog Entries
    Show Off

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Hi Brian,

I like a coat of oil followed by clear shellac with wax on top for both appearance and feel. Here's a desk I made for my son with that finish combo and it has held up pretty well.

Best,

Chris

IMG_1931.jpg
    Chris, the depth of the finish on that desk is outstanding!
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    With that grain, it won't need much 'in the wood' to pop - and I bet it will have plenty of depth with virtually any finish with even a little oil in it .

My favorite for B.Walnut is(was) Formby's tung oil, but it has changed(?) in the last few years. I haven't kept up with the corporate side of the product line, so not sure of the cause. This is if you want it to finish dark!

To get a lighter color finish, but nearly same depth, I've taken to just using clear shellac.
    I liked Formby’s a lot too, but it definitely has changed in consistency recently. I stuck with the cut down Waterlox over danish oil, will apply a few coats and finish by rubbing out with wax after it is fully cured.

Almost done, will take some time now since I need dry time between coats of finish. This is oil & 1 coat of wiping varnish. Will build 3 coats and rub out with wax. Next update when complete. 7EA62FAF-F7F6-4029-9E1A-334A6EEAE7C8.jpg
    CBB42F5E-D094-42EA-B943-774295F4FD50.jpg

Wow! Nice Brian

Very nice work Brian. I have never thought of creating a base out of moulding and will gladly rip your idea off at the drop of a hat, sorry to say . What size rounds did you use for the various coved shapes? I am just jumping into moulding planes and you are inspiring me to move ahead. What sizes of hollows/rounds are the most used? I'm good for rebates and corner beads, now need to figure most useful sizes for hollows/rounds used primarily on 3/4" material.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    Wow! Nice Brian
    Thanks Mark

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Very nice work Brian. I have never thought of creating a base out of moulding and will gladly rip your idea off at the drop of a hat, sorry to say . What size rounds did you use for the various coved shapes? I am just jumping into moulding planes and you are inspiring me to move ahead. What sizes of hollows/rounds are the most used? I'm good for rebates and corner beads, now need to figure most useful sizes for hollows/rounds used primarily on 3/4" material.
    Thanks David. The base moulding is basically an ogee with a fillet at the top. The convex portion was shaped with numbers 6 & 8 hollows, and the concave portion used numbers 6 and 10 rounds. The majority of the convex shape was made by the 6, with the 8 forming the top of the transition between the convex and concave portions. Again the 6 round did the heavy lifting on the concave, with the 10 forming the elliptical little flare towards the foot.

For the cove moulding that forms the frame for the lid, the majority of the waste was roughed out with a series of rabbets of various depths, and the cove was cut with two rounds, a number 18 down towards the edge and a number 16 up by the panel.

I also ground a few custom scrapers to match the profiles & clean up all the tracks that were left by the various planes.

Hubba Hubba!
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I'd say that finish worked out well! As did your selection of grain orientation.

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

As as usual, life has intervened and prevented me from wrapping up this small project. Here’s a look at the finished lid (video works better with the figure)

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    I'd say that finish worked out well! As did your selection of grain orientation.

Best,
    Chris
    Thanks Chris! I paid a lot of attention to grain orientation in this one. It’s usually an afterthought for me, regrettably lol

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    Spectacular! You are letting the wood talk, but there is some serious talent in hearing it's full voice.

Once finish is applied, well, I can only imagine. Well done ( so far )

Dave B