Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maximum Bowl Blank Weight for a Laguna REVO 18/36

Maximum Bowl Blank Weight for a Laguna REVO 18/36

Does anyone know the Maximum Bowl Blank Weight without tailstock support for a Laguna REVO 18/36 ???

Joe

And thanks so much for the excellent discussion on the issue of "lathe shut down",when you stop turning large, heavy, wet bowls.
    No company's customer service could have come close to the information given in that extensive dialogue.
    Thank you Sawmill Creek Turners Forum!!
    Last edited by Joe Frank Porter; 04-03-2019 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Frank Porter View Post
    Does anyone know the Maximum Bowl Blank Weight without tailstock support for a Laguna REVO 18/36 ???
    I have no idea of how that lathe is constructed, spindle size, bearings, etc. Dies Laguna give guidelines in the manual? The lathe headstock and spindle is usually plenty strong and the weak point is the mounting.

But without tailstock support would depend on several things, some I can think of:
    - the way you held the blank - faceplate, chuck, glue block
    - the chuck/jaw size/strength
    - the tenon or recess size and strength and integrity of the wood
    - the amount of imbalance of the blank and the RPM
    - the diameter and the length the piece extends, i.e. short and thick vs longer and more slender
    - skill level, i.e. the type of cuts and the frequency and severity of catches

But a general guideline - ALWAYS use the tailstock for as long as possible, truing, shaping the outside, cutting the tenon/recess, and perhaps even when hollowing the inside of a large, heavy piece (remove inside leaving a central pillar for as long as possible). People used to turn entire bowls between centers and then knock off the support pillars and finish up by hand.

JKJ

3. I’ve had blanks weighing over 200 lbs. on my Grizzly G0766 and my Grizzly G0800. My G0800 has more and bigger bearings than your Revo 18/36....all 3 being larger than a baseball [one 6208 series and two 6209 series]. My G0766 has 2 bearings on the spindle, 6206 series, and your Revo has one 6205 and one 6207 in the headstock. I would not run a steady diet of very heavy blanks all the time, as you will likely need bearing replacements sooner than normal. The occassional heavy blank probably won’t cause any issues. Try to get your blanks as balanced as possible before mounting on the lathe...that will help prolong bearing life.

This is half of a chessnut oak burl that weighed 450 lbs. when whole....

https://sawmillcreek.org/attachment....hmentid=394528
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 04-03-2019 at 6:11 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Roger
    I always use my tailstock on the large heavy bowls, but was considering hanging a larger one off the end.
    Your attachment will not come up.

Thanks

Depends more on how you are holding the blank. Maximum will be less if you use a small chuck.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Joe Frank Porter View Post
    Roger
    I always use my tailstock on the large heavy bowls, but was considering hanging a larger one off the end.
    Your attachment will not come up.

Thanks
    Try the link instead...it comes up for me. If it still does not come up, go to the Grizzly Green Monster Group link under the “community” tab at the top of the page, then view all pictures near the top...you’ll see it.

The attachment was done with my ipad, so it may not play as well as a PC on loading, but the link does work. I agree with Richard Coors on the hold...for the burl in my link, I used a 6” faceplate and 8 no.12 machine screws that were 2” long to hold that heavy monster.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 04-03-2019 at 7:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    I’ve had blanks weighing over 200 lbs. on my Grizzly G0766 and my Grizzly G0800. My G0800 has more and bigger bearings than your Revo 18/36....all 3 being larger than a baseball [one 6208 series and two 6209 series]. My G0766 has 2 bearings on the spindle, 6206 series, and your Revo has one 6205 and one 6207 in the headstock. I would not run a steady diet of very heavy blanks all the time, as you will likely need bearing replacements sooner than normal. The occassional heavy blank probably won’t cause any issues. Try to get your blanks as balanced as possible before mounting on the lathe...that will help prolong bearing life.

This is half of a chessnut oak burl that weighed 450 lbs. when whole....

https://sawmillcreek.org/attachment....hmentid=394528
    Just wondering.....who says bigger is better?...maybe they are big cheap quality bearings as opposed to smaller better quality bearings???...who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Frank Porter View Post
    A more fundamental question might be how many heavy logs will your spine withstand. Bearings are relatively cheap and easy to replace and everything will be as good as new. After a lifetime of using my back as if it were a beast of burden it is now full of screws, brackets, rods, and cages ... and a very long way from being like new.
    Bill

I would suggest that anything that would be able to turned using the bed extension in the lower position, would certainly be within the parameters of the machines capacity.

The attached picture is of my 2436, not the smaller 1836, but the bed extension is actually the unit designed for the 1836, as is the tailstock riser. Now the 1836 would fit a similar sized blank, but obviously smaller as the 1836 spindle is closer to the bed. Your motor is approximately 1500W whereas mine is approximately 2250W. I sort of assume that the designers thought reasonably clearly that the actual physical possibilities would determine the limits of what they considered normal maximum load.

If you hang something humongous off the end and use a stand alone tripod for your rest, then anything in that territory would probably be stretching things. However with extreme care and thought, I'm sure things like that could be done.

As for bearings not being good enough, or you may wear them out prematurely; I wouldn't be at all concerned. The bearings on my 2436 are bigger, granted, but a set of quality bearings for my unit is approximately $35 to $50 tops (depends upon what brand and from whom you purchase) and it takes about 40 minutes to change them. Tools needed are a couple of Allen keys and a rubber mallet to tap the spindle out. I will clarify this procedure in another thread at another time.

Mick.

IMG_20190204_155314_resized_20190404_044352155.jpg
    Last edited by Mick Fagan; 04-04-2019 at 12:41 AM.

Joe if you want to hang a longer heavy piece in/on the lathe it is the faceplate or chuck that is where failure would happen, I would use a steady rest for longer pieces even not so heavy ones.

The thought of a bearing problem, is not a problem, ever seen the bearings in modern cars and trucks front or rear hubs ?, they carry a big load and at high speeds and hard knocks on rough roads, lasting for years, I don’t remember having to change bearings on our cars, and we keep them quite a few years before selling and then other owners will keep on using the same bearings while running the cars/trucks, though better quality than most Chinese original equipment bearings in the lathes.
    Have fun and take care

Even larger cheaper bearings may hold up better than smaller expensive ones. The RPMs may be the same, but weight is spread over a larger bearing race.

The claim of cheap bearings seems presumptuous, and not supported by facts.

13. Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    Yeah, that cheap bearing idea is a non starter. I know better from experience. I’ve had my G0766 for 4 years, with fairly heavy usage, and the bearings are quiet, no play in them and the entire spindle is tight and still runs like new. My G0800 is made by the same company that makes the Powermatic lathes, and is comparable to the biggest PM 4224b in class and build.

My comment may have been read wrong...I was not disparaging the quality of the Revo 18/36....I believe it to be a fine lathe. I was just answering about the bearing sizes comparing makes, and the Revo 18/36 has one just a tad smaller and one just a tad larger than my G0766, and with fairly heavy usage no problems whatsoever with bearings/spindle.

Sometimes a post can be done in a hurry without wording every phrase in the most precise way. My apologies if I misconveyed a concept.....certainly not intentional!

Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    I never claimed they WERE cheap.... I just said MAYBE they could be... no facts to support them either way....

Mick, that's a big chunk of wood. With your bed extension, you are able to use the tailstock.
    I will get the extension if i turn many pieces larger than 18".