Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Time for a new bandsaw...help me out...

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    I have a 14" Rikon. No problems with it ....
    I have a Rikon 10-325, 14" band saw. I like it quite well. I like the quick blade change feature. I can change a blade, start to finish, literally, in minutes. However, the motor runs pretty hot and I had to get rid of that plastic window in front of the blade right away as it gets fairly opaque with sawdust. All in all it's a robust and user-friendly saw.

Yonak, mine is the 10-326. Motor doesn't get hot, but I recall reading that it's a different motor than what was used on your saw. Also haven't seen any dust build-up on the little plastic window. I use it every time I adjust blade tracking.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    ... plastic window. I use it every time I adjust blade tracking.
    Nick, I'm talking about the window in front of the blade at the bottom of the blade guard, through which one must look to follow the cutting path, not the window in the side of the top cabinet to view wheel tracking.

OK, this one?

On mine, it's never collected dust either. Maybe a difference in the guides or the dust collection port?

My lower guides collect some dust, but I just hit them with a some air every now and then. As you know, some woods leave more goop behind than others.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Certainly a lot of choices. It can get overwhelming.
    I really like my Grizzly GO513X2F and haven't regretted buying it for a second.
    At work, we replaced our old Delta with the Rikon 10-326. We only use it with smaller blades (and tasks) as we have a 24" Grizzly with a 1" carbide blade for all resawing needs. So far the Rikon has been great. I wouldn't trade my Grizzly for it but it's available for less money and has the tool less guides.

Another vote for the 18BX. I love mine and resawing is a snap. Definitely get the mobility kit.

Quote Originally Posted by James Cheever View Post
    Another vote for the 18BX...
    That looks like quite a nice machine.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Don't cheap out this time. You need a real resaw machine. A used MiniMax 16 is in the right price ballpark.
    You can buy so much more used.....really.

I have an Oliver 192, a Powermatic 87, and a 14 inch walker turner. All for about the price of the 14 BX. Don't need another band saw but I have seen lots of Italian machines cheap. I may just give in and add #4.

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    I bought mine for $1500. Paid close to the same for my 20" Agazzani. OP is considering spending $1350 for a 14".
    And again...used market...several Italian band saws I have seen for relatively short money.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I'll pile on with a recommendation for saws in the 17" range as opposed to the 14" range.

Being able to tension a 3/4" 2 or 3 TPI blade will make a big difference in resaw ability..........Regards, Rod.
    Quoted for truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    And again...used market...several Italian band saws I have seen for relatively short money.
    Where are you finding these? Craigslist?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    You can buy so much more used.....really.
    Maybe, Maybe not. Location, Location, Location. Everybody's used market is not the same. My market is almost retail for something that has been sitting in the rain for 3 years but in excellent condition. It takes time to constantly watch CL. Then there is having to deal with CL folks. The more I buy and sell on CL the more I hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    Maybe, Maybe not. Location, Location, Location. Everybody's used market is not the same. My market is almost retail for something that has been sitting in the rain for 3 years but in excellent condition. It takes time to constantly watch CL. Then there is having to deal with CL folks. The more I buy and sell on CL the more I hate it.
    Likewise. Down here the only things you see locally are rusted out hulks with half the parts missing. I just can't be bothered to buy somebody else's tool that's been badly abused or used up. That's not woodworking. That's the scrap metal market, and I won't be the middleman there.

I'd LOVE to be able to find good quality tools on the used market, but they're never there when I need them, and similarly they're too close to retail when they do show up.

About the only worthwhile stuff at a good price that I've seen around here on Craig's List is stuff that I was selling. And yes, it went fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    I like my 14BX also - and yes for hobby needs it's great, esp if you go with 2.5HP motor. The OP has a small saw now and this would be a huge upgrade. I know a lot of folks on here keep pushing for bigger, like 16 or 18 however you all need to consider what his needs and space are. If the OP spends a few hours a week in his shop and plans to occasionally resaw some 10 inch or so boards, the 14BX will be just fine. If he plans to resaw 100 linear feet of 12 inch boards, brake down 250 lbs logs for huge turning blanks, yes, a bigger saw is in order.

Many people (hobby and production shops) get along with a 14" 1hp bandsaw just fine. It is 100% about the users needs!
    I know of a number of production shops with 14 inch saws where people get along just fine. However...would personally rather have extra capacity.