Thread: New turner having fun.

New turner having fun.

Got myself a Harbor Freight lathe, a set of gouges, and just got a Barracuda 2 chuck. Now this is fun. After I got through with some honeydoing, went out to my shop and whipped out 3 little Christmas Tree ornaments. Easy peasy. Set up my old old craftman grinder with a new wheel and made a rest to sharpen gouges. Bought that thing at a yard sale in the 80's for $8. It has a 1750 rpm motor and it's belt driven. It works! Anyway I started out with some sweet gum from a tree I cut down (Hate those gum balls). Turned it green. One bowl I finished, it's about 1/4 " thick. It warped but looks cool. Have 3 more that are 1" thick and are drying in sawdust in a box.

My intention is to turn this into a side business, selling on Etsy, at shows etc to help fund my retirement (LOL). Got too many grandkids (11) all over the world. I'm enjoying it, getting zoned out turning. Challenging myself to what I can do. Been watching YouTube vids and getting ideas, learning what and what not to do. Thoroughly dangerous.

What really has me excited is a sawmill near me that has piles of scraps, free for the taking. The gentleman I talked to also turns, but is too busy right now to do anything. Found a bunch of green oak chunks as well as lots of pine and who knows what else is there. Have a truckload of pieces I have to unload and do something with tonight.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jim, if turning doesn't work out for you , please consider "motivational speaking"! Good luck to you, Sir. Enthusiasm makes for fast learning.

Oh no, another one hooked. Looks like you may be turning some cedar, a great wood. I started with a small, inexpensive lathe (the worst lathe in the world) and very quickly learned two things: how much fun it is and that I needed a better lathe! Maybe 17-18 years later I'm in a new self-built shop with multiple lathes at hand.

Where do you live? There may be someone near you with plenty of wood to share. I have a sawmill behind my barn and often cut slabs and chunks for turning blanks. If you haven't check into it, look for a turning club near you. That is a great way to network, get ideas and learn techniques, and acquire great turning wood.

There are lots of useful youtube videos but be warned some are horrible for both technique and safety. A great source of very good videos is the AAW (American Association of Woodturners). They review each video before including it in their list. I think they are offering a free introductory membership now.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Outman View Post
    Got myself a Harbor Freight lathe, a set of gouges, and just got a Barracuda 2 chuck. Now this is fun. After I got through with some honeydoing, went out to my shop and whipped out 3 little Christmas Tree ornaments. Easy peasy. Set up my old old craftman grinder with a new wheel and made a rest to sharpen gouges. Bought that thing at a yard sale in the 80's for $8. It has a 1750 rpm motor and it's belt driven. It works! Anyway I started out with some sweet gum from a tree I cut down (Hate those gum balls). Turned it green. One bowl I finished, it's about 1/4 " thick. It warped but looks cool. Have 3 more that are 1" thick and are drying in sawdust in a box.

My intention is to turn this into a side business, selling on Etsy, at shows etc to help fund my retirement (LOL). Got too many grandkids (11) all over the world. I'm enjoying it, getting zoned out turning. Challenging myself to what I can do. Been watching YouTube vids and getting ideas, learning what and what not to do. Thoroughly dangerous.

What really has me excited is a sawmill near me that has piles of scraps, free for the taking. The gentleman I talked to also turns, but is too busy right now to do anything. Found a bunch of green oak chunks as well as lots of pine and who knows what else is there. Have a truckload of pieces I have to unload and do something with tonight.