Thread: Box-Tops...or, Tops in a Box

Box-Tops...or, Tops in a Box

Here's something new. These tops are hollowed out for cord storage and upright display, with about 1/4" wall thickness. The boxes are purpose made for a sung fit.

Redheart throw-top measures about 3" x 3.5" and weighs 91 grams (3.2oz). The box is turned from Colorado Maple, with a handmade 2" diameter cabochon embedded into the lid:
    2019_BoxedTop_2i.jpg 2019_BoxedTop_2k.jpg 2019_BoxedTop_2f.jpg 2019_BoxedTop_2a.jpg

Wenge throw-top measures about 3" x 4" and weighs 137 grams (4.8 oz). The box is turned from Indiana Basswood with another handmade cab in the lid:
    2019_BoxedTop_1g.jpg 2019_BoxedTop_1k.jpg 2019_BoxedTop_1h.jpg 2019_BoxedTop_1a.jpg
    Last edited by Ed Davidson; 04-11-2019 at 10:33 PM.
    Best,
    Ed D.

Really nice, Ed. Thank you for sharing.

Did you make your own points?

"My Baby Sent Me a Letter"..... Loved that old group.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    Did you make your own points?
    Yes, the tips are turned after epoxying a Delrin rod piece into the top's body. Delrin comes in white, black, brown and blue...turns like butter.

Delrin1.jpg
    Last edited by Ed Davidson; 04-12-2019 at 12:29 PM.
    Best,
    Ed D.

I did pick up some Delrin a few months ago so I could make tops that wouldn't drill holes into my shop floor. It tools very easily. I am into bigger sized tops though, in the 3 to 5 pound range. I did try some lignum for a point on one and it works well, but it did dull down pretty quickly...

robo hippy