Thread: Router Lift in SawStop extension... is this enoughs upport to prevent sagging?

Router Lift in SawStop extension... is this enoughs upport to prevent sagging?

Hi All,

Added an Incra Mast-R-Lift to the sawstop extension table, do you guys think these two extra pieces of pine are enough to prevent sagging? I dont have a heavy router in the lift, just a dewalt 618.

p.s. Ignore those screws hanging down at the very front, im using them as locating pins for when I add some extra support under the combo track (someday ).

IMG_1962.jpgIMG_1961.jpgIMG_1963.jpg

Decided to add some extra support to create a sort of torsion box with some pine (so it matched the wing which is also pine), the only thing im a bit worried about is maybe an issue from wood expansion but I did go pine to pine and I live in SoCal, what do you guys think?

IMG_1967.jpg

It looks great! The way you have it set up, I think two pieces of angle iron going all the way across (one on the saw side and one on the open side) would remove any question of the rigidity and completely remove any worry about sag.

I don’t think expansion of the pine would be much of an issue since you took the torsion box approach. I’ve been considering the exact same upgrade and you may have pushed me over the tipping point. Great job!

Blog Entries
    The frame under the SS table is weak. Mine will barely hold the table alignment reliably let alone a router. I would replace the framework with oak or a like hardwood. This is in my near future and I don't even have the router weight to deal with. If there is anything about the SS that I don't like, it is the wimpy side table. Skinning the underside of your frame may help but, the frame-to-laminate connection is still probably not glued so there again, the pine and the connecting point is weak. Don't mean to sound negative, just honest. Great job on the frame. Certainly better than without. Just the wrong materials and attachment method IMHO.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Agree with Glenn, and would add that whatever kind of laminate material they've used for the table surface is probably bad for a router table top. It's thin and scratches very easily. Don't think it will hold up well to running countless boards across it.

Blog Entries
    The best thing you can do with that extension table is toss it & make a better one. I laminated 3 layers of 3/4" Baltic Birch and put plastic laminate on both sides for a total thickness of 2.25". It's very rigid & flat, & I don't think it will sag over time.

I did a router table in my last table saw, similar to how you've done yours & it sagged noticeable after a few months.

Keep an eye on it but I think you’ll be alright. I have a similar setup under the Woodhaven extension on my Unisaw except that I used popular. It’s been ~15 years and hasn’t sagged.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thanks all for your input, I think for now I may run some angle iron across the bottom later on, especially when I go to build a cabinet for it, based on some responses here and from some other posts online who said they did something similar and its lasted years for them, I think its safe to call it done! I'll update this post if it ends up sagging before I add the angle iron/cabinet!

-Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Singh View Post
    Hi All,

Added an Incra Mast-R-Lift to the sawstop extension table, do you guys think these two extra pieces of pine are enough to prevent sagging? I dont have a heavy router in the lift, just a dewalt 618.

p.s. Ignore those screws hanging down at the very front, im using them as locating pins for when I add some extra support under the combo track (someday ).

IMG_1962.jpgIMG_1961.jpgIMG_1963.jpg
    Nice lift! I did the same thing, but built a cabinet under the table with drawers and a section for dust collection. I put screw-type leveling "feet" on the top corners of the cabinet to meet the table, for even support of the table.