Thread: Picked up a used Stanley #80 cabinet scraper

Picked up a used Stanley #80 cabinet scraper

Thought I would use it on a walnut top this morning, and sharpened it like we did in school 50 years ago, got a nice burr on the blade, put the blade back in the scraper and got about 4 strokes out of it before it went dull. Tried sharpening a couple more times, and every time the burr goes bad in just a few strokes. Assuming I need a new blade. Anyone know where I can get a replacement? Or other remedy?

I like Lee Valley's steel. I haven't tried this particular item, but, if you find it's not a sharpening technique issue but a failed blade, you might consider this: http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...=1,310&p=69374

Before looking for a new blade, I would suggest going back to scratch and prepping the blade to a new, perfect 45 degree angle, just as you would a plane iron, then set the burr and insert the blade from the bottom (to avoid dinging the burr during insertion). Starting from scratch seems to make all of my scrapers work better when they start acting dodgy. (If that is the way you did in school 50 years ago, then I apologise for being redundant.)
    If you DO go with a new blade, the thickness of the Hock blades for this plane prevent any degree of chatter and work a treat.

Hock blades work very well for me.

David