Thread: shelf pin jig

shelf pin jig

i did a quick search and found no threads addressing punching clean edged shelf pin holes so for those of you who use drills and are not happy with the results here is how we do it in the sticks. best part is scrap`s free MVC-005S.JPG

MVC-006S.JPG

Tod - us "city slickers" do the same! I made a jig similar to the aluminum one that Norm uses. Just some scrap 3/4 ply and you have everything you need.

Mike

Sticks? I just got cable TV and my road paved.

What kind of spacing do you use? What size holes did you drill in your pattern and is there a specific bit you use to make it work better?

I built a very similar jig based on one Norm built on NYW. Mine has an adjustable fence underneath that determines the setback of the holes from the edge of the panel. There is also a 1/4" hole on each end to allow lining up the jig for taller panels.

The holes in mine are 5/8", I think, spaced 1" apart. I then use a 1/4" spiral bit and a 5/8" guide bushing on my plunge router. Works great.

travis, matts got it! i didn`t realize somebody had already posted on this?? i do the spacing at 1"-2" depends on the application, this one is the width of the blade in an old lufkin square. i use a straight bit as i`ve found an upcut will sometimes pull the veneer loose. fyi, no television here so no cable. and i drive a little over a mile to hit pavement when comming to the shop.

Use a pice of pegboard.

Pegboard

And gee I thought I was backward using pegbard after seeing all the fancy schemes.

Glad to see someone else found the easy route.

i have dificulties shoving the guide bushing in a hole in pegboard that was the whole reason for the post; to avoid tearout caused by drill bits.. tod

Thumbs up

The best way to drill them is with a CNC router!

I have to be red faced here. I use a very similar system to Tod when I do this. By the way, what is cable TV in the sticks? Until a year ago, our TV was a tuff shed ontop a mountain infested with mountain lyons. The guy used to go up there with a jacked up 1960s Ford 250 4x4 and bought the translators from an Army auction. The new tower was welded up from scrap iron and there was a jeep headlight up on the top. That is how we aimed the TV antenna to get about 4 semi decent channels. Now we have dish network. But the kitties are still around. Right now I have a bobcat living in my basement near the water heater. He comes and goes at will through an old foundation vent hole under the kitchen sink. But he is like a teenager.... just doesnt clean up after dinner. Often, I find feathers all over the crawl space.

Oh Tod, yah, I may just have a photo of this beastie....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Well I guess that I must have enlarged the holes in the pegboard just a little bit.

bud, you`ve got the best idea, now how to build a cnc out of scrap.... dev, bet that one doesn`t crawl up in your lap for a snooze? i think that cat would give all three of my hounds a run for their money!

Nice jig, Tod. My setup (not my idea!) uses the same concept but it probably works even faster due to its "open holes".

Regards,

Christian
    "On Wednesday, when the sky is blue,
    And I have nothing else to do,
    I sometimes wonder if it's true
    That who is what and what is who."

(A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh)

There is a difference between the sticks and the hills. You are in the hills, way out!