Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Planer and Jointer Question

Grizzly Planer and Jointer Question

Hello,

I am going to upgrade my small home shop with a planer and jointer so that I can stop renting space at a local wood shop. I am a hobbyist and not putting out mass quantities of work, but I am always willing to pay for a decent product.

My dilemma is how many Grizzly products there are with minor specs changed. Just in the 8" jointer there is (9) of them. In any event, I was looking to see what 8" with parallelogram beds was a decent choice? I also wasn't sold on Grizzly's spiral cutter heads unless I hear different on here?

As for their planers, I was looking at the 15". They have G0453, but due to the backorder say the comparable model is the G1021Z.

Thank you Grizzly for all the options, but it drives an indecisive person like myself insane. Seeing if I can get some recommendations from people with experience with these machines.

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    I can not speak to the current offering but, when I was jointer shopping I got to run a Byrd and the German Grizzly heads side by side. No discernible difference in the circa 2007 models.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thank you Glenn. And the search continues...

I can't speak to Grizzly planers, but I bought a G0858 jointer about six months ago after researching different options. I bought it because of the helical head, the parallelogram base and the reasonable cost, plus good reviews. The picture attached is a feature comparison among three Grizzly models I examined - again about six months ago.

I've been very pleased with the jointer. It works very well. I just planed a bunch of white oak on it this weekend with fantastic results.

Gary
    Grizzly Jointer Feature Comparison.jpg

5. I've got the G0609X 12" model with Griz's spiral cutters. Completely satisfied.

You also might want to think about taking advantage of your situation of needing both jointing and thicknessing and consider a Euro style combo for both larger jointing capacities and smaller footprint. Many of us have gone that direction.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thank you all for the replies. @Jim Becker, what European model are you referencing? A couple years ago I researched Jointer/Planer combos and saw nothing but negative reviews for most of them. Just curious which one you’re talking about so I can take a look. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Tea View Post
    Thank you all for the replies. @Jim Becker, what European model are you referencing? A couple years ago I researched Jointer/Planer combos and saw nothing but negative reviews for most of them. Just curious which one you’re talking about so I can take a look. Thanks!
    I wasn't referring to any specific model...I personally own a MiniMax, but since you were asking about Grizzly, you might check out their J/P combo offers.
    --

I have a G0453Z and a Shop Fox 1741(same as the G0490). I put a Byrd head in the 1741. I see no difference in the Grizzly spiral and the Byrd.

As for their planers, I was looking at the 15". They have G0453, but due to the backorder say the comparable model is the G1021Z.

Thank you Grizzly for all the options, but it drives an indecisive person like myself insane. Seeing if I can get some recommendations from people with experience with these machines.

Thanks!
    From what I can see, the G0453 is exactly the same as the G1021Z except that it has a spiral head.

Thoughts:

1: On a planer, you WANT a spiral head, so why buy the second tool, paying for a straight cutterhead that you will want to replace, anyway? That's money wasted.

2: That Grizly spiral head, like many of their less expensive heads, is NOT a shelix design. With a true shelix, the cutters are skewed. This gives a better cut in highly figured woods. it also creates less noise.

If you really want to buy a new, import machine, perhaps the best way to go is to get the G1021Z and then buy a real Byrd Shelix head for it. You could probably sell the original head on Ebay, for a few bob.
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 04-22-2019 at 9:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I have a G0453Z and a Shop Fox 1741(same as the G0490). I put a Byrd head in the 1741. I see no difference in the Grizzly spiral and the Byrd.
    For the G0490X that I bought the inserts are all parallel to the mouth of the tool. Looking at the pictures on Grizzly's site, the G0453z has the same parallel cutter inserts. The Byrd cutters, and the G0858 have the inserts off at a skew. You can see this in the close up shots of the cutter heads.

The skew is the preferred method for avoiding tear out, since it means that the insert hits with more of a slicing motion instead of a cutting motion. OTOH, I usually feed in boards at a slight skew on the G0490X which accomplishes the same thing for shorter boards. For me the difference in price was not enough to justify the more expensive jointer, on the basis of this skew YMMV.

I had a 6" Grizzly planer that I was happy with. I was satisfied with it but I sold it to but my neighbors 8" planer.(Non grizzly). I also bought the 20" Grizzly planer about 15 years ago. Love it.Yes, its noisy but I wear ear muffs anyway so no big deal. And I haven't found that I need the spiral cutter head although I look at them occasionally but there are other things important that I usually want. I will say this though, I have NEVER experienced any snipe on my planer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I wasn't referring to any specific model...I personally own a MiniMax, but since you were asking about Grizzly, you might check out their J/P combo offers.

Thanks Jim. I was looking at the Minimax today after you sent that post. However, now that I see you're from Bucks County and I am from Philadelphia, I will just stop over the shop and use yours....

Thanks again. I am probably going to move on one of the Grizzly 8".

Thanks Jim. I was looking at the Minimax today after you sent that post. However, now that I see you're from Bucks County and I am from Philadelphia, I will just stop over the shop and use yours....

Thanks again. I am probably going to move on one of the Grizzly 8".
    ROFLOL!! But seriously, if you get interested in MiniMax, I'm happy to show you some of their gear...I've done that for many folks over the years. This is typical of the community for SCM/MiniMax, Felder and other "Euro" brands which are not generally in retail settings, although Felder does have a showroom in Delaware which is nearby. In the past, you could have visited Grizzly, too, but they closed their PA facility awhile ago.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    ROFLOL!! But seriously, if you get interested in MiniMax, I'm happy to show you some of their gear...I've done that for many folks over the years. This is typical of the community for SCM/MiniMax, Felder and other "Euro" brands which are not generally in retail settings, although Felder does have a showroom in Delaware which is nearby. In the past, you could have visited Grizzly, too, but they closed their PA facility awhile ago.
    Jim, I really appreciate that kind offer. I think the Minimax is a little out of my wheelhouse for now, but if I decide differently I will absolutely take you up on the offer. Thank you!!