Thread: Buffer

Buffer

I think I am still not using this buffer correctly. Maybe I am expecting too much of it but it doesnt seem to do like the demonstration I saw of the beall buff system. He got a piece of raw wood and made it beautiful in a couple seconds. I spent some time with mine and only got ok results. I have seen other peoples work when the buffing system was used and it had a very deep, glasslike shine. Am I missing a step?

Rich,

We need more details on the steps you are using.

If I remember correctly you have the small PSI pen buffer?

I ordered the Beall 4 days ago and I'm anxious to get it in here.

Buffer

Tripoli bar on the yellow wheel. Rub a little on the spinning wheel. Hold workpiece on spinning wheel.

White Diamond on the tight threaded white wheel. Hold workpiece on spinning buff.

Carnuba wax on the loose thread wheel. Hold workpiece to spinning buff.

Don't use too much and spin at slower speeds as per Beall video.

Thats my procedure. Not getting fantastic results.

Rich when I got my buffing system and started to use it I was not happy with it either. Someone suggested that I use a piece of 100 grit sandpaper backed with a small block of wood to get rid of the fluff that was flying every where. Then load each buffind pad and start to buff, I still was not happy with the results and ask what I was doing wrong. I was told to keep loading the buffing wheels and try buffing again. It took about a week of this and finally the buffing started to take on the luster that I wanted. I don't know how long you have had the system you are using and how many times you have put the buffing compond on the wheels but I will bet that if you keep loading and buffing soon you will get the finish you want. Good Luck.

Thanks

Thanks Ron. That makes some sense. I will continue to use it and see if the results get better.

First, I'm not a professional buffer and I don't play one on SMC. It was my understanding that you don't want to load the wheels up heavy. I use the three wheel system and charge the wheels very little, in fact you can't hardly see anything on them. Mine did great from the very first use. I've got mine mounted on my midi lathe and not sure what speed I'm running it. If you want me to check the speed just let me know.

I run mine between 1100 and 1200 RPM and it does fine , I don't load them up with compound either. It says to use a slow speed (1175 RPM) motor and before I got the beall system, that is what I used with my makeshift set-up and the speed was fine and did a great job. Now that I have the beall system and my new DVR, I set the speed up there.

Hope this helps.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

I agree with Keith, If you see much of the compound on the wheels you are using too much, It only takes about 1-2 seconds to load the wheel, for each turning. If you think yours has too much, you can take a wire brush and lightly brush it while the buffer is running to clean the wheels off.
    A Lot also depends on what finish you are using. If you are just using the compounds for finish it will shine but not be like glass.
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

The Beall buffing wheels take a bit of breaking in to provide the ultimate finish Rich. If they are loaded too heavily, they will not perform as expected. A safe way to remove any excess compound build up is to use a hack saw blade. Get them spinning, and use the toothed edge of the blade, it will clean them right off. With the Tripoli wheel, you will notice a bit of the Tripoli color when it is loaded correctly. With the White Diamond wheel, and the wax, it is hardly detectable. When you get them broke in and properly loaded, you will know it. The shine appears instantly as you move through the compounds, and the wax applies the finishing touch.