Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fixing Mistake

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I would consider filling it with a dark filler, same color as those ambrosia streaks, and then use some pens or an artists brush and appropriate paint to make it look like another one of those streaks. While you are at it add some dark color to cover the light colored filler in those knots. That would bother me more than the mis-drilled hole.

John
    This is my suggestion too. It's a 3/16" hole why make it bigger with a plug or dowel? A little filler and some art work.

Sam
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I would cut away some more wood in a wedge shape above and below the hole to make it look like a natural streak. Then fill with black epoxy. Anything you put in there will stand out if the hole is perfectly round. If you make it look like a natural void, even you won't notice it. Play with this method on a scrap first, obviously

Blog Entries
    Agree that you with all the suggestions, plug, dowel, patch or fill and color. Just fix it and move on. Especially because you built it for your own home I can’t imagine it’ll bother you for more than a week or two, the initial frustration wears of quickly. I’d be more worried if it was a commission, because you’d always think what if it hurts reputation. But realistically non wood workers truly don’t see or even understand why something is a mistake.

Also, it took me a several times looking at the photo to even notice the hole, all I could see are those knots with voids.

Carpe Lignum

I'll vote on the side of extending the hole slightly to be like the other streaks and fill it with something dark, like brown/black epoxy. I think that will blend in better than a lighter plug.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Don't use a dowel. Use a plug cutter and make a plug from a similar rained piece of wood. With a plug you can make it just about disappear...
    This. Do not use a dowel. A Fuller 1/4" plug cutter will do the job nicely.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."