Thread: Period Furniture Makers

Period Furniture Makers

I had the opportunity to visit the American Society of Period Furniture Makers event at the Detroit Institute of Arts today. It was a pleasure meeting fellow creeker Mike Holden who was nice enough to give me a hands on lesson. Thanks again Mike! Really appreciate it. You’ve inspired me to dust off the few rounds I have and give them another go. And by the way, I forgot to mention that the spice box you had on display is stunning.

I also had the opportunity to reintroduce myself to Ed Stuckey. Ed lives in Detroit and I had met him years ago and had the opportunity to see some of his work in his home and get a tour of his workshop. His talent/work is second to none. One of the pieces he had on display was this table:

D34A0792-AA7C-4F2F-96F7-5E935F405CD4.jpeg

It’s a good photo, but way more amazing in person. Truly beautiful piece.

Marco Terenzi was also there with a full display of his miniature tools. His wood and metal craftsmanship was amazing. Every last detail exact, and all fully working tools. His miniature #62 took a perfect full and thin shaving.

All in all a very enjoyable event.

That table is just breathtaking!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Just a minor correction, the organization is the Society of American Period Furniture Makers aka SAPFM. It's a great organization with chapters around the country. One of the benefits of membership is the annual journal American Period Furniture, which I edit.

Bob Lang

Thanks Bob for the correction.

Wow, that table! Inlay work like that has always intimidated me. Phil, was Ed's shop largely hand tool centric or power or both? Modern fancy or old industrial?

Side note to Bob Lang: thank you for your article long ago showcasing the three-toed dragon stool. I built a varient of that stool and sit on it everyday!

Thanks for the kind words Jeff. That stool is nearly indestructible, even when it's just knocked together, and a lot of fun to build.

Bob Lang

Phil,
    Thank you for the kind words, it was a pleasure meeting you as well.
    Here are a few more pics from the event:
    SAPFM DIA 0010.jpg
    The calm before the storm
    SAPFM DIA 0020.jpeg
    Steve Lash (on right) showed a clock and silverware boxes. Steve is a Cartouche winner.
    SAPFM DIA 0030.jpg
    Marco Terenzi miniatures (exquisite)
    SAPFM DIA 0040.jpg
    more from Marco
    SAPFM DIA 0050.jpg
    A work in progress by Ed Stuckey

Continues on next message
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Continued...

SAPFM DIA 0060.jpeg
    Ben Brung demonstrated the springpole lathe

SAPFM DIA 0070.jpeg
    Marco Terenzi

SAPFM DIA 0080.jpg
    Jim Crammond (seated), Ben Brung, and Andrew Messimer and showing how the back and arms of a windsor chair are made

SAPFM DIA 0090.jpeg
    Marco demonstrating the use of his block plane on alaskan cedar

SAPFM DIA 0100.jpeg

Thanks for watching,
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

That looks like a really fun event! Thanks for sharing photos.