Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I took the pocket change...

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Lowell, did they charge you a fee or a percentage to use this?
    It's been a year or so since I did it, but when I used a Coinstar machine, there was no fee if you took your payment in the form of an Amazon gift card (there were several other retailers too, like Home Depot). In other words, if you turned in $30 of change, you'd get exactly $30 to redeem with the vendor. I assume the vendors are paying Coinstar something on the back end for driving the business to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mattingley View Post
    When my daughter was born I built her a Rockinghorse and hollowed out the belly (about 1 1/2 gallons capacity). Anytime I get the two dollar coin I drop it in her horse. My daughter is special needs in a wheelchair. One day she might cash it in for a new wheelchair or something...

Beautiful job on the rocking horse. What a wonderful idea. I hope there is an easy way to retrieve the coins years down the road. Would be a shame to have to dismantle the rocking horse!
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Some of my change goes from my pocket to the counter, then to the car, mostly for small stuff. I also have 2 large piggy banks, one cast iron, and one that I made from a 20 lb propane tank, that would l probably fall through the floor if I ever fill it.

My change bucket is a 5 gallon water jug from a water cooler. Now that the debit card is used more often, as most of you have stated, I also don't get much change anymore. The most I ever had in there was maybe 4 or 5 inches of change, which turned out to be about $750 when I cashed it in. At the time, a local bank had a no-fee change machine if you were a customer. A few months ago, my son decided to count it and there was about $300 in it. When I get a chance to turn it to cash, it is gonna be a really nice date night for my wife and I.

When I retired 15 yrs ago, I counted all the change I had collected for many years. $430. Nice pocket change.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night