Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harbor Freight Jointer Model 31849

Harbor Freight Jointer Model 31849

Someone stop me from buying this 7" jointer on sale at HF for $199.

How bad is it?

I know, if it seems too good to be true---

BILL FIELDS

I like Harbor Freight for a lot of simple things, but i wouldn't buy anything major there. My dad got a grinder there that laster for about 2 hours of run time, they wouldn't take it back.

i love them though for hammers, tie downs, ear plugs, and all that kind of thing. I bought a 4" angle grinder after Thanksgiving for 8.99 there that seems okay. I don't know what i'll ever use it for, but I figured for the price I couldn't pass it up.

I saw that jointer in one of the HF stores. It looked like junk.

STOP!!!! I got a welding helmet from them that is OK but I bought a 5" hand held angle grinder that I only needed to use one time for a short duration of grinds until I could get mine. It was already showing down after about fifteen minutes. That was OK because it was cheap and I kind of knew what I was getting into as I had seen several post that said not to buy anything that cuts or drills from them. Add to that anything that grinds.

I really think that you would be throwing away your money especially for something as critical as a joiner.

Sorry for the bad report.

Allen

Hi Bill - I don't own and haven't used one, so take my input for what it is. I've seen the jointer at the store and it does look a bit rougher than the bigger name jointers and the fence design is more outdated. It also lacks some convenience features, but the vast majority of owners are pleased with it's performance, meaning it makes a board flat and square as it should. This sure isn't the model I hope to put in my dream shop, but if you're buying it locally, the price is right and HF's return policy is about as generous as it gets.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

The Rigid 6 inch is a nice machine and can be had for about $300. If you aren't sure I'd say save a couple more bucks and get something a little more tried and true. By the way the Manual and parts pack that come with the Rigid are as good as I've seen. Very helpful.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Bill,
    FWIW, I have heard the fence set-up on this unti has a lot of flex since it is only anchored on the far end of the infeed table versus in the center like most of the other competitive units.
    Something else to consider is that 7" is an oddball size. Most jointers I am familiar with are 6" or 8". That could be an issue when knives need to be replace down the road.

I waited for a while and found a lightly used 6" unit on eBay that was 45 minutes away from me - $180.

Wes

Bill,

Take a look at this post. It is not about the HF but about the Rigid and the Jet which might be good alternatives. Brian Clevinger started the post and is wanting to sell his Rigid. I do not know where he lives though.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ighlight=rigid

As long as you know what to expect from the tool then it will be just fine. You may have to overcome some oddball issues and the fit and finish won't be that of a higher priced machine.

A jointer is a very simple machine and as long as the tables are flat and are either co-planer or can be easily shimmed co-planer, it will work just fine.

the fence design is an old Delta design and it works just fine as is actually a good choice for a jointer where you don't have a lot of space behind the jointer for the rack and pinion style. I have this same style on my jointer and it doesn't flex at all so I would assume the same from the HF style fence.

I know a couple of people with this jointer and they are very happy with it, again from the perspective that they knew what to expect going into it, if they had paid $500 for it, then they might have been upset.

HF also has a VERY liberal return policy, the stores realize there is a higher percentage of duds in their product line up and will take about anything back no questions asked. if you are worried, they also offer extended warranties for reasonable prices as well.

Knives can always be custom cut to length for free from most companies so that isn't a real issue in my mind, if not free is is very cheap, for example my local wood store cuts Freud knives to lenght for $0.50 per cut, quite reasonable if you ask me.

Just my $0.02 on this jointer.

Thanks everyone!

Great advice, just as I always expect from Creekers.

IF I were considering buying this machine by mail order/internet, I would surely pass.

But, I'm going to the store (35 miles) tomorrow and will examine it.

HF return policy is liberal because WE the customers, are their QC department.

If it looks reasonable, then it goes home with me. I will set it up and wring it out right away (AND LET EVERYONE KNOW THE OUTCOME).

Here is a typical HF story: Order 12" SCMS. Arrives in a flimsy cardbard box with newspaper for packing--obviously a RETURN. I take it to a local store and wheedle the manager to take it back.. They do, and gave me a replacement with a slightly different (better?) model--which is great. Well--almost, as I had to re-engineer the laser.

No, it's not the DeWalt that they copied--and ---I had to fool with it some, but for $180 insted of $600--turns out OK.

Stay tuned and thanks again!

BILL

Hi There
    I have this jointer and here are my observations

1. This sucker is heavy with good castings (good not great)
    2. I have had mine for about 6 months and it is running fine.
    3. The knives were not adjusted with any degree of straightness, and poorly sharpened when purchased.
    4. Adjusting the knives is a bear. .
    5. The tables are flat and coplaner to with in .003" ( I am a tool and Diemaker and checked this).
    6. I paid 219 for mine.

Is this 199 or 299 I checked the HF web site and they list it for 299.

All in all I have no regrets on this machine and the extra inch in the cutter head sure comes in handy over the 6" models.

Enjoy
    Bob Oehler

I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with Harbor Freight. About 75% of the stuff I buy them I am happy with the item for the price paid. But sometimes the stuff is just so bad it has to go back. I would recommend staying away from anything with motors from there.

When I bought my jointer I got a Delta knockoff from Oasis Machinery. You can check this link http://www.toolmarts.com/specials.html I got the enclosed base for $299 and picked it up at the store.

I have been very happy with it.

I like you spent some serious time thinking about the rigid as well, I dont think you could go wrong with it.

--
    John Cavanaugh

To: Bob Oehler--

$199 on sale. I believe they are discontinuing it. TIme to buy spare motor brushes/bearings, etc., I suppose.

Thanks for you input--

Bill

Bill:
    I forgot to mention that the fence has never given me any trouble. It is solid.

Good luck and let us know what you do

Take Care
    Bob Oehler

HF jointer redux

HF claimed the 7" model was not available--meaning that they discontinued it, and their remaining stock was sold.

SO--I went to a HF store and bought the 6" unit for same price--$199.

The flimsy base is almost assembled--still puzzling over some final details due to the worst manual I've ever seen.

Quick glance at the table halves and fence indicated heavy/solid/undamaged finish. Motor/switch/wiring look OK.

All well-packaged in a case in a enclosed in welded angle iron--indicating that the Chinese were tired of transit damage.

Stay tuned--I'll get to the rest of as my hernia sugery of today heals.

BILL FIELDS

Since it is rather low to the floor, I will attach a shop-built base--3/4" ply on 5" casters.