Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee Valley Veritas PM-V11 chisels

I’m glad you got a chisel that is satisfying. They look very long aren’t they paring chisels I thought you were have trouble with a striking chisel.
    So confused.
    Aj

I think that is the LV bench chisel. I don’t believe they make a paring chisel.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    I’m glad you got a chisel that is satisfying. They look very long aren’t they paring chisels I thought you were have trouble with a striking chisel.
    So confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    I think that is the LV bench chisel. I don’t believe they make a paring chisel.
    Thanks Nicholas, I guess they just look very long from the camera angle.
    Good Luck everyone
    Aj

Right, they are the LV bench chisels. The camera angle makes them look pretty long. They are a bit longer than the LN socket chisels.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by C. J. Church View Post
    Well, I did contact Lee Valley prior to posting here. I am waiting a reply. Thanks for your input.
    Although your experience is in the minority, Lee Valley stands behind their stuff. If you want to return them, I wouldn't expect any trouble. I won't bother talking about my good experience with PM-v11 as the only important factor here is whether you are happy with them or not.

FWIW, I had a poor first experience with a particular circular saw blade that "everyone" loves. I had it sharpened to try to resolve the performance issues but, it never performed like some more economical brands I owned. Years later I got to try the same model once again; completely different story. Can't explain it, can only report my experiences.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have the whole set, seven of them. Used them to build several Rietveld chairs in white oak without nicks or any other problems, also I extensively used them while building my Roubo bench in hard maple. Could it be just a bad batch? I am sure that LeeValley will take care of you. I really like those chisels and I am 100% satisfied with quality.

Quote Originally Posted by C. J. Church View Post
    I'm surprised that the Lee Valley QC process let the original two chisels slip through.
    What QC process is going to catch a bad heat treat, short of LV using them? The important thing, as you found out, is to buy good tools from a good retailer. That way you will always get what you pay for.

30* is too high except for chisels dedicated to chopping. Edges should always fail by rolling rather than chipping. There are references in old British woodworking manuals, I'll look for them, that refer to chisels "found too hard for their intended use." High Rc values are often associated with high quality but that's not the whole story by a long shot.
    Last edited by Charles Guest; 05-31-2019 at 11:03 AM.

I think failure modes and guidelines in Old British woodworking manuals may be fine for older steels. It is not necessarily applicable to modern steels such as A2 and PMV-11.

I bought some Robert Sorby chisels several years ago that had a small dimple on the back indicating a Rockwell hardness test was done. So it is possible in a production settting to check hardness as one important indicator.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    I think failure modes and guidelines in Old British woodworking manuals may be fine for older steels. It is not necessarily applicable to modern steels such as A2 and PMV-11.
    You can fix a rolled edge in less than a minute, not so a chipped edge.