Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cradle Boat Project (long, with pics)

1. Cradle Boat Project (long, with pics)

I decided to build a cradle for my grandson, to be born around Christmas this year. The design I settled on was a dinghy, built in a "sort-of" traditional manner with copper roves and rivets, from Jordan Wood Boats (he advertises in Wooden Boat Magazine - http://www.jordanwoodboats.com). Just like a real boat, you build a strong back first, and then lay the stem and stern post, transom and keel.

The planking comes next, and this is where my first problem started. It is difficult to plane red oak this thin and keep it in one piece ... the porous nature of red oak makes it easy to split. The plans call for white cedar, which would be a much easier wood to plane this thin, and then keep it from splitting as you bend it and fasten it with silicon bronze flat head wood screws (another bow to tradition that I'll never make again!)

The rivets presented a problem for me too, and I think I have them inside out ... the flat head of the rivet should be on the inside, and the rove pounded onto the outside. Too late! Riveting boat planks together is just another reason I'm a thoroughly modern boat builder! Give me epoxy from now on! But enough complaining, the bottom planks were easier ... 1/2" thick instead of 3/16" like the sides, and not much bend.

The plans include both rockers which attach directly to the bottom of the cradle, and davits to suspend it. The construction of the davits is pretty straight forward, but I think the plan's rigging is a bit of overkill. I think I could hang my Potter 19 from the davits! But here are the finished pics:

For the rigging, a bridle is made to attach to the stern quarter knees with figure-8 stopper knots underneath, with a bronze double block riding on the bridle. A bronze eye strap is positioned under the davit head, and the line is attached to it using an anchor bend. The line is rove down to the block, up to one of the sheeves in the davit head, down to the other side of the double block and back up through the other sheeve in davit head, then down to a bronze cleat to be made fast, so as baby doesn't crash to the ground.

All in all, its been a worthwhile project. My wife has made some great bedding for the cradle, and I'll post pictures of it with the bedding when the battery on the camera recharges!

The finish is 4 coats of BLO, followed by a 1# cut of garnet shellac applied with a pad, followed by 4 coats of Target Coatings' "Oxford ULTIMA Spray Lacquer" in a satin finish.

AMAZING !!!
    MARK

That is just plain cool! Congrats on both the baby and the beautiful cradle!

Corey

What Mark said.
    AMAZING !!! That is by far the neatest cradle I have ever seen.......the craftsmanship is wonderful! Thanks so much not for only sharing the finished project but the progress pics as well! This will no doubt be passed down to many generations to come!

5. My wife calls it the "million dollar cradle" ... but you always need tools to complete a project, don't you?

I ended up buying a DeWalt 735 planer and 621 router during the course of this project, as well as an "old iron" drill press I found on an auction site. But hey, I got a good deal on all of the tools!

BEAUTIFUL!
    What a great project and design. An heirloom it will be.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

That is a great piece. This baby sure will be getting its sea-legs early in life. It may have been a pain in some aspects but I suspect you find it all worthwhile now and even more so when the new occupant arrives.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Frank, that is definitely going to be a precious heirloom!
    I’m a little disappointed that you finished it with a couple of weeks to spare. It was right down to the wire when I made my granddaughter’s cradle...
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

incredible!

Very Unique!!

Very nice work, and thinking outside the box at that!
    Awesome!

It's already been said in one way or another, but here's the Reader's Digest condensed version, Frank:

Beautiful, Amazing Heirloom!

- Vaughn

Frank,

What can I say that hasn't already been expressed?

That has got to be the most awesome cradle anyone has ever seen.

You deserve an award!

Beautiful work. Although I'm not a boater, I always enjoy seeing this style of cradle...they look great, have style and are very functional! Bravo!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Fantastic and all the above. Such wow wonderfulness work. Wonderfulness, I don't think anybody else has used that word

Jim

gee I live a sheltered life. never seen one of those before ... real nice
    I wonder if the kid will like boats when he grows up.

very nice work
    congrats on the grandson as well
    lou