Thread: Performax 16/32 - Drum bearing replacement with Jet?

Performax 16/32 - Drum bearing replacement with Jet?

I might have found another difference between the Performax and Jet drum sander. Over the winter I ordered (2) Jet bearings from ToolPartsPro:
    http://www.toolpartspro.com/jet-part...9-drum-bearing

Now that I go to put them on, the design is slightly different (the Jet bearings have a deeper sleeve and are secured with 2 gib screws) and the dimension is slightly smaller (.983" versus .998" as measured with my HF caliper - the shaft is about .993").

I don't think I can grind down the shaft enough and I don't think I can have a shop just press them on. What should I do?

Are the numbers on the bearings the same on the Jet and Performax sanders? If so, something is awry. If not, order the proper bearing from any bearing house, such as Accurate Bearing.

Here’s a picture - old on left, new on right
    7CFB97DE-D627-4D2F-A9AC-1461A1623D27.jpg

Thanks Matt - you responded while I’m trying to get images posted from my phone. Does this help?
    Attached Images Attached Images

And...the best I could see with a loupe was SB-205-16, which is $6.59 bearings direct.

So...if anyone runs across this thread in the next few months and wants a couple of $35 JET 16/32 bearings PM me and I'll send them to a new home.

Glad you got it worked out. If there’s something tough to read like some bearing numbers, I take a picture with my phone then zoom into the pic on my phone. It’s a digital loupe I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Glad you got it worked out. If there’s something tough to read like some bearing numbers, I take a picture with my phone then zoom into the pic on my phone. It’s a digital loupe I suppose.
    That is a good technique. The characters on this stamp made it very hard to distinguish between B, 8, and 6 - it was very subtle.