Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Logging In Tokyo.....

1. Quote Originally Posted by Barry O'Mahony
    The dungeon is truly amazing. Watch out for nails in urban trees.

I may be in Tokyo this spring; I might have to stop by at the store and buy a 5th of something.
    Hi Barry, thanks for the props!!

If you do come to Tokyo and don't stop by for the nickel tour of the Dungeon, I'll take it as a personal insult....

Seriously, if you can stop by, I'd be pleased to show you around, always fun to meet another wood worker!

I know about the nails, and my handy dandy Lumber Wizzard III has come in handy for sure!!

I have the larger one, "B".

Cheers!

2. BTW, I went to the site today and I was talking to the guy felling the trees, he told me that the HUGE Zelkova trees that they are keeping, they will top them, and the tops are huge, so I'll get that too!!

While I was there, he was just about to cut down a Akagashi, the Japanese Evergreen Oak, that has two good 8 to 10' sections in the trunk that are about 18" in diameter, yep, he is putting them into my pile to cut up as well.

Man, when I want to make work for myself, I sure do find interesting ways of doing it!

Cheers!

3. OK, I got the Old Husky 185CD chainsaw, $220 US (85cc saw) now I got to get it, and make the chainsaw mill thing for it, and start slabing some of that big wood waiting for me....

Cheers!

4. OK, I got my dungeon cleaned up, and I got some wood that I cut stacked.

I'm rethinking my idea of keeping the wet wood in the Dungeon Annex, I think I'll end up putting the wood on the roof of my building. Here it will be under our solar panels, out of the rain, but it will get lots of air movement, and I hope that the typhoons will not take any boards away!!

Here is an end view of the stack

Here is the stack and the fan I have going.

Here are some chunks I've kept for turning of a future lathe

Here is a close up of the grain on the Sakura (Cherry) that I got, what do you think it looks like?

Looks like a great place to keep wood! So what's it like living in Tokyo? I have a cousin who was born there while my uncle was in the military.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Kelly C. Hanna
    Looks like a great place to keep wood! So what's it like living in Tokyo? I have a cousin who was born there while my uncle was in the military.
    The roof should be good, the Dungeon Annex, while good in someways, it would be expensive to run the AC and fans 24/7 for a few years, and there could be a bug problem as well.

Tokyo is not a bad place to live at all, for a city of 12 million people, it is very safe, and fairly clean too, but honestly, if I could just snap my fingers, I'd at the very least live outside the city, if not back in Canada.

Cheers!

Nice pile of wood you've acheived Stu!!! You're getting a lathe? Cool!!!! You sure have some nice stuff to start working on.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

What do building lots cost in Japan? What is the average price for an acre of land out in the country?

Thanks,

9. Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    Nice pile of wood you've acheived Stu!!! You're getting a lathe? Cool!!!! You sure have some nice stuff to start working on.
    I'll eventually get a lathe, or build one!!

10. Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weisner
    What do building lots cost in Japan? What is the average price for an acre of land out in the country?

Thanks,
    An ACRE of land?

Man they don't measure land in acres

We measure land, here in the city, in "Tsubo". One Tsubo is 3.954 square yards.

Our the land our building is built on is 39 tsubo (154.2 squ yards) or 0.03186 acres.

The price of the landreally varies, depending on the area it is in, and things like the size of the road that goes by it, plus access to the land. IF you do not have a 4 meter wide access to the land, you cannot rebuild the house, and there are lots of old houses like that, they have a little pathway to the house, that is only about a yard wide, so they cannot rebuild.

Our building, built in 2001, cost about 1.1 million US, it is 7 floors high, and it is a VERY well built building, we DID not cut corners with the structural stuff. For example, there are 9 column of concrete with a load of re-bar, going down the equivalent of 9 floors down into the ground. These are about 2 meters round, this give us a lot of stability during an earthquake.

Building is expensive here, compared to the US, but, it is cheaper now than it has been in over 40 years.

Cheers!

I must have figured the math wrong That worked out to about 1,495 square feet, for just the building lot. Is that right?

12. Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weisner
    I must have figured the math wrong That worked out to about 1,495 square feet, for just the building lot. Is that right?
    You are a little off, it is actually 1388 sq feet, by my math.

1 tsubo is 35.58317 square feet or there abouts

Not a big space, and we do not own the land, we lease it, which is another looong story...

Cheers!

13. Well Folks, I've been busy....

I got the chainsaw mill built....

The frame

Guide tubes

The bars that will clamp to the chain bar.

Mark I ready to go.....

Another look

This is going to need a guard!!

14. I do not know the pic limit, so I'll keep the pics per post down....

OK, I have the "Mark I" ready to go, let's see how it works...

Getting ready to fill the Dungeon with blue smoke!!

Exhaust fan on HIGH and still it is all blue!!

Don't worry, I beat a hasty retreat!

The saw cut well, the chain needs a sharpening, and the carb need some tweaking, plus old gas and oil = too much smoke!

That will do nicely

On to Mark II..........

15. The Mark II version....

The middle bars will make it easier to use on the second cut (no overhanging starter board).

Tip guard!!

I got to this point and the saw died would not start!!

I thought I was out of gas, but it turns out I was not.

The sparkplug wire is shot!!!

Husky don't stock parts for this saw, and they say they cannot get them (?) so I'm looking for a sparkplug wire, I'll head to a bike shop and get some from a scooter, the 250cc dirt bike stuff I have is too big.

You can see more at my site....

Chain Saw Mill