Thread: slightly OT-drilling glass

slightly OT-drilling glass

I am trying to drill a 3/8 diameter hole in the side of a glass block like the ones you see used in construction. Any help on drill bits (carbide?) drill speeds( I will be using drill press with variable speed) and the need for lubricant. Ypour collective comments, advice and experiences will be greatly appreciated.

Happy Holidays

Jim Cunningham

Glass drilling

Jim,
    In my old glazier days we did all of our hole drilling with diamond tube bits. It's the only way to get a good clean hole. You could use one of those lance tipped carbide bits if quality of the hole is not a concern. You want to use a real slow speed (200 - 300rpm), lots of lubricant and don't force it as the hole will break out on the inside. Sometimes we just used glass cleaner for the lubricant, although there is a lubricant available for drilling. Two companies I can remember are C R Laurence and Somaca for supplies.

Gary

You probably already know this: if the glass is tempered, it will shatter if drilled.

Andy

drilling glass

Jim,

There are bits made specially for glass. As a stained glass artist I have tried lots of them for making things like windchimes, and stained glass clocks. Diamond is the best, and unfortunately for 3/8" it won't be cheap, I'd guess $20+.

They come as blunt nose, which is either like a dremmel stone tool, or the diamond grit is on the end of a steel shaft (I use these mostly) or as core drills. You can use water for lubrication though I have a lubricant made for glass drilling, cutting, and grinding that I use. I'd recommend 700-900 rpms for the core bits, 5,000 rpms on the blunt nose. I doubt you will find the 3/8" diamond bits at your local home improvement store, more likely a power tool repair shop. If you have time search on "diamond drill bits". There's also a "paddle type" glass bit that looks like a pointed metal canoe oar, I found those to be useless. If you are not going to do a lot of these you might even contact a local stained glass store and they might do it for less than the price of a bit.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

there is an alternative way to drill the hole. It is a solid drill bit that will drill a 3/8 hole also. Then there is a tube bit that can be used with a subtance carbarumdim. If i were you and you didn't have too many to drill I would take them to a glass shop and have them drilled. You would probly save money by paying someone and getting it right the first time instead of breaking a bunch and not getting the desired results and haveing to have it done anyway.
    I worked in a mirror shop in Fla. did many yatchts. glass is another animal completely. It isn't very forgiveing at all.

I have drilled hundereds of these for my wife's craft business. I purchased a diamond hole saw, 3/4", for $10.00. You can find them in a good tool store buy the dremel stuff, but it wasn't dremel. I used painters putty to make a dam for water. Use your drill press at a slow speed. Take your time.

Richard

We drill a lot of holes in glass in my studio, including 1 1/2" holes in 3/4" glass sinks. For these holes we use a special water feed set up on the DP. It feeds water through the bit as you are drilling.

For the occassional hole you might want to look up hisglassworks.com . They have a full range of bits and set ups.

Another approach is to sand blast the holes. Works fine but the hole will be a little ragged.
    Perry

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wolf
    ...I purchased a diamond hole saw, 3/4", for $10.00. You can find them in a good tool store buy the dremel stuff, but it wasn't dremel. I used painters putty to make a dam for water...
    Same procedure here. Got the bit years ago at a store that sold lapidary supplies.
    What this world needs is a good retreat.
    --Captain Beefheart