Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: African Mahogany

African Mahogany

Today I found some African Mahogany... bunches of it. There are 12 bundles of 8/4 x 8"-12" x 10'. The wood has been sitting around in sort of a lost and found from the pot to a warehouse for about twenty years. Some pieces have dead mold on them from when they were flooded years ago. Some pieces were cut through the mold and apparently it's just on the surface. None that I could see that had mold were rotted. It's now being sold by however much someone wants to buy, but when I asked how much, the guy wanted me to make an offer. I don't have a clue how much it's worth. I've never worked with or cared too much for Mahogany until I saw this stuff. It was dark through the cuts. Some of the pieces were slices through big crotches and it beautiful even in the rough. Unfortunately some of that was cracked.

Anyone know how much it might be worth?

Ernie

How many bft? I think it runs around $5 to $6 a bft for 8/4 lumber.

The mahogany I bought today was $6.50/bd ft and I felt that it was a reasonable price considering the figure in the wood...just beautiful. Years ago, I got some old mahogany from some church pews. They were about 100 years old and being replaced with some nice new yummy oak. Anyway, that mahogany was to die for. The aging and use gave it a unique color. At that time, they sold the wood for $2.

I guess if you were willing to work with the cracks, I would think that it's worth $3 maybe? I would love to get my hands on some.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Oh...I have to change my mind...I just re-read your post Ernie...At first I thought all of it was cracked. If it's in good condition...then $6 feels right
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Ernie, start with $25.00 for the lot. If it's been there that long, and the guy has no idea of what it is, you may win. Worth a shot, see if he goes for it, if not work your way up slowly. How many pcs in the bundle, or is it 12 pcs.? Just say it looks like junk wood.

If you win it all for 25, I would like some if you are going to let go of some of it, and when you make a run up this way in the spring.
    Hay good luck.
    Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

One more Ernie, how do you know it's African??

Okay thanks. Carole, I'd say about 2000 bd ft. I'll probably offer him $4. No guts no green stamps.

Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Stevener
    One more Ernie, how do you know it's African??
    Well, I don't know for sure. The guy told me the story of it and that is pretty much it. It is mahogany and is a very dark redish brown.

Ernie

Go for it Ern; and put some on the next truck to Maine
    Only the Blue Roads

Well Ernie, there is $1.00 & up to $8.00 Mahog. I still would start with 25 for the lot.
    Bill.

I am not a big fan of African Mahogany....it is unstable...it may look like Genuine/ Honduras...its not...I will not use it for most things anymore
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    I am not a big fan of African Mahogany....it is unstable...it may look like Genuine/ Honduras...its not...I will not use it for most things anymore
    Mark, I don't know anything about Mahogany and woldn't know Honduras fom any other, but you've made me curious. Why do you say it would not be genuine Honduras. Did it get fished out years ago?

Ernie

Ernie,
    What was Honduras Manogany is now called "Genuine " mahogany...because it dosen't come from Honduras anymore. Still it is the same species...huge trees and very stable...great for doors and is a great all around wood. Now African....sometimes called Arican ribbon mahogany looks similar...more figure and a lot more twist...it is not stable even when dry....I dont reccomend using it for furniture or anything exterior....not a good value...I was at Austin Hardwood a couple years ago...they said they were the same...in character...this week I was back and told them about the instability ...they said they are hearing it a lot...I just used about 500 BF of Genuine Mahog,...for doors I am making....great wood worth the difference....usually less than $1 a bf
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Ernie, Mark's right the African stuff is not nearly as good. That said, you might be able to get some mileage out of the crotches if you can re-saw it into nice veneers. Most of the African I've seen has a lot of ribbon on the surface so that might be a good indicator. Don't know how it turns, but the Honduran 12/4 I've turned is great.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

Ernie: I used some Sapele (African Mahogany) for a project recently. I have used Honduras Mahogany for many projects, so I was interested in the difference. The Sapele produced a strong sweet odor when cut. It did not finish quite as easily, as there is some fuzziness in parts of the grain. Other than that, it worked well and I was pleased with the results. I did not turn it, but have read it requires sharp tools to cut the fuzzy part of the grain. I would use it again, but if turning it (or cutting it again), I would certainly use a respirator.