Thread: Miter Gauge

Question Miter Gauge

I'm contemplating getting an upgraded miter gauge when I order my new Jet tablesaw. Have not exactly loved the stock gauges.

Have looked at a few, including the Incra 1000 and the new one that Norm has been using, the Osborne EB-3.

Your experience with upgrade miter gauges would be appreciated.

Thanks...

Be well,

Doc

Well, I have heard good reviews about the Incra 1000 SE.
    I was also looking at the Osborne not long ago, but I decided to go all out and get the Jointech Smart Miter. Watch the video on their website, and you will want one too. It is the only miter jig that will give you accurate length at any angle. It is expensive, but if you get it during one of the woodworking shows, there is a fairly decent discount.

- Mike

I own and like the Incra 1000 system...I have both 36" and 18" bars and generally use the longer one most of the time. I really wanted to get the BenchDog, but apparently they have discontinued it. I suspect it was too pricy for any kind of volume sales, but it was a winner construction-wise. The Osbourne EB-3 is a very nice tool and I would consider it if something happened to my Incra.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lubin
    Well, I have heard good reviews about the Incra 1000 SE.
    I was also looking at the Osborne not long ago, but I decided to go all out and get the Jointech Smart Miter. Watch the video on their website, and you will want one too. It is the only miter jig that will give you accurate length at any angle. It is expensive, but if you get it during one of the woodworking shows, there is a fairly decent discount.

- Mike
    I bought the Jointech at a WW show and have been very pleased with it. Once you set it up it is dead on accurate. But do follow the directions about how to set it to fit your saw.

I second the previous posters recommendation for an Incra 1000SE. I have tried quite a few aftermarket Miter Guages but IMHO the 1000SE was the keeper.
    Guy
    <b><i>Master of the Hounds from Hell</i></b>

Thumbs up Jointech Smart Miter

I love my Smart Miter. My uncle is very happy with his Incra 1000. The Smart Miter gives you great repeatability out to 48"! The next step is a sliding table for even more crosscut travel. The Smart Miter has about 12" crosscut capacity.

The set up was much easier than I expected. If you are not near a show or do not want to wait the zero clearance table for the cut off piece would be easy to make. It is part of the show special. Buy the hold down clamp it is a nice feature (also part of the show special).

I closely compared it to the Incra 3000 and liked the Smart Miter better.

Good luck
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Miter Guage

I haven't seen one in person, but I am really intrigued by the Jointech SmartMiter. It's kind of a cross with a miter guage and a cross cut sled...but I think the cross cut capacity is something like 12 or 13". The great feature about it is that you can set the rule on the guage for the distance from the saw blade, and no matter what angle you cut, the rule will remain true, so you don't continually have to set the distance from the saw blade. For me alone, that is worth the cost of entry, which by the way is pretty steep - $259. I hope to see one at the show in Dallas toward the end of the year, but I would appreciate input from anyone that has one.

I've got the Osborne EB-3. After some initial futzing around to get it adjusted for the miter slot, it's been great. I recommend it.

- Ed

Cool

I second the motion for the EB-3. Got one a year ago and it meets my needs excellently. Check it out!
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Falis
    I've got the Osborne EB-3. After some initial futzing around to get it adjusted for the miter slot, it's been great. I recommend it.

- Ed
    Last edited by Daniel Rabinovitz; 07-06-2003 at 12:47 PM.
    "Howdy" from Southwestern PA

Another vote for the EB3

I got my EB3 a month or so ago. It's great. I was able to make oddball miters with ease. For example, I made an "heptagaon" (25.7 degree miter for seven sides) that went tightly together on the first try even though there is no detent for this angle. Excellent too with good balance and rigidity. I am sure you would find the EB3 a worthy investment.

Sincerely,

Mike Narges

Take a look at the SmartMiter as mentioned by the other posts.
    I do mostly segmented turning. I have been threating to build sleds instead of using my home made miter gauges and the Woodhaven. I looked at the Dubby, SmartMiter and Inca 5000. I decided to go with the SmartMiter. The Miter gauge sled is Super Accurate. I can do any cut or any angle with a .5 degree step. Just lock it down and set it. The quick clamp is fast and works for hands off. This setup up saves me from having sleds all over my shop which I don't have room for. I ordered the SmartMiter instead of the Inca because I was afraid of dropping it on with all the parts hanging out. This is a no excuse Miter gauge sled and gauge if I don't get it right, I sure can't blame it on the equipment. I also made an extension for stop clamping and to keep everything on the same plane. I did not like the cost of $275.00, but I guess my time is worth something.
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 07-07-2003 at 9:18 AM. Reason: changed 5 degrees to .5 degrees

Quote Originally Posted by George Troy Hurlburt
    The Miter gauge sled is Super Accurate. I can do any cut or any angle with a 5 degree step.
    Just to clarify what George said, the Smart Miter will do any angle in .5 degree steps. Wouldn't want anyone to get confused.

- Mike

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

edited

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lubin
    Just to clarify what George said, the Smart Miter will do any angle in .5 degree steps. Wouldn't want anyone to get confused.

- Mike
    Thanks Mike -- I wondered about that myself when I read it -- I have edited Mike's post and corrected the 5 degree to .5 degree.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.