Thread: Nova Midi Chuck - problem

Nova Midi Chuck - problem

I've been having problems opening/closing my chuck. Anybody know how to take one apart and clean? I can't find my manual...it's too small to keep track of. Anyway, the jaws are not closing up all the way and not consistently. I've stuck the shopvac up to it. I've blown some air through it gently so to dislodge any chips while trying not to jam them in further. Occasionally, it works just fine except the jaws don't seem to line up like the use to.

I've got a SuperNova but I'd like to keep this one to use. I like it but I keep thinking it should open further than it does. Dang things barely 6 months old. Anybody remember the warranty on Nova chucks? Now where's that Woodcraft receipt????

Hop over to the Teknatool website. Detailed maintenance instructions there. The slides will stop flush with the body of the chuck. The identical jaws on a midi will not have the same capacity that they do on the SuperNoava.
    Last edited by Carole Valentine; 12-13-2005 at 10:52 PM.

I would contact Teknatool also. I had problems with my Nova midi chuck a few years back with the snap-ring coming off every time pressure was applied in the open position. Found out it was a design problem and they sent me a new re-designed one immediately. I had bought mine at Woodcraft also but chose to deal directly with the manufacturer instead.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

Chip, I have no idea if this will help you or not. Last weekend I had my first opportunity to use the Nova midi chuck at a demonstration. I had problems with it closing completely, and almost got bonked on the head for my trouble. Upon examining the chuck closely, I discovered that the inside of the jaws were clamping down on the spindle of the lathe! I was using the chuck on a Jet 1442, and the spindle was just long enough that if I screwed it on tight, it would hit the spindle before it closed on the piece I was turning. As long as the tenon was big enough to keep it from closing down on the spindle I was fine. Otherwise, I had to unthread it from the lathe, tighten it on the piece, and then thread it back on the lathe. It was not a good way to do things, but the show must go on. I do not mean to insult you or anyone else who may own this thing, but I think it is not very well made, and I would not recommend it to anyone looking for a chuck.

Bill

Yep, figured that out when I tried to remount a bowl recessed for the Midi Chuck onto my SuperNova....Who'd have thought 50mm wasn't 50mm. Anyway, I'm adaptable and only scratched my head for about 5 minutes.

Hi Chip,

I picked up a new Jet Mini VS today, and the dealer, a long time acquaintance, threw in a Nova midi chuck free. I have a number of chucks, however never had Nova midi. So from reading all of the comments about it, I gave it a good going over. As Bill noted above, ie. "jaws on spindle, no prob., on the new Jet anyway, I have not tried it on the other lathes, as it will remain on this one. Reviewing your situation, and reading the instruction manual ( which I very rarely do ), the manual notes an action adjustment. Just a thought, yours may require adjustment, and or removal with a cleaning?????
    So far, only one hr. playing, I am real pleased with this thing.
    As a final note, my other chucks are Axministers, and in the instructions is a LARGE note: DO NOT clean with forced air.

For what it's worth.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I used my shop air conditioning unit....better known as a fan on high. I knew not to use my compressor lest I aggrevate the problem.

Thanks Bill! Your experience is exactly the problem I had with the Midi chuck on my 1442. I took the chuck off and re-chucked the bowl then remounted the chuck on the lathe. Turned fine. The problem doesn't occur on my Jet Mini. So that explains half the problem.

The other half will still a nuisance. I think I'll check the Teknatool site and do a little maintenance. I noticed they seem to have online manuals. Although I wasn't impressed with the one I got.

For anybody reading this thread. This chuck has been a real trooper. As a novice, I've done some really stupid things with wood chucked up in it. It's held and held tight. I think a little maintenance is reasonable for any tool. This one fit my budget at the time. The SuperNova fit my budget when I got the 1442.

Bill - What's the deal with the no compressed air? Been doing that to my chucks since day one.
    Only the Blue Roads

I use a SuperNova II on my DVR but I have a Nova Midi that I use on my Jet Mini and it has been a great little chuck. Always runs smooth and true and has never let me down. Granted it has tommy bars, if you put them in the right set of holes you can operate them one handed if you need to. I understand there is no comparison between this chuck and the discontinued Nova Compact which had a lot of problems. As far as using compressed air on an assembled chuck, I would thing there would be a chance of forcing debris into the gear mechanisms? That's the only reason I can thing of not to use it. I don't have a compressor so it's a moot point for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    Bill - What's the deal with the no compressed air? Been doing that to my chucks since day one.
    Dunno Andy, I don't have an honest answer, other than agree with Carole's thoughts. Something on the long list of things to do, like #72, contact Axminster and ask why not. I just apply the correct end of the big sucker hose to the chucks when cleaning up. Never had a prob., but you never know.

On another note, I mentioned to Chip, about a feature on the Nova midi, the "action adjustment". It is an option, but mine came with one. I messed with it some, and found it only takes very little adjustment to apply a very noticeable resistance to the operation of the chuck. Personally, to me, it's a take it or leave it feature. Chip did not comment on weather he has it or not, and or did he check it, and if not did he check the hole for obstruction, this could cause erratic operation.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have been busy doing the final sanding & finishing on a series of Christmas presents so I haven't followed up on your comments. But I absolutely will because I don't know about the 'action adjustment' feature.

Chip I noticed that you live in "Almost Frisco". We must be pretty close to each other I just live a few miles north of there.

Chad

Hey neighbor...

McDermott & Custer is my location. Plano address, Allen phone number, Frisco schools. The family and I feel like Frisco residents because that's where we shop and do church. I tried to send you a PM with my contact info but your profile doesn't allow them.
    Last edited by Chip Sutherland; 12-15-2005 at 4:25 PM.

Pm

Sorry about that I just changed that option and sent you a PM.

Chad