Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need some marketing help really badly.

I need some marketing help really badly.

Well maybe that’s not what I need or I do who knows? (G) what I am after is for someone to represent my planes in the various wood shows and demos and such. Maybe someone that goes to them and sells other stuff?
    I should be doing this like C&W and such but I don’t have the time the money and I don’t much care to travel. Since it is only me who would make the planes while I was on the road? The only time I had a week off was when I was so sick I could not even walk 20 feet.
    Not sure what I could pay for this with planes or a percentage or something.
    I like selling by word of mouth but sometimes it’s not enough.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

Steve,
    I saw Terry Gordon at a recent selling and demonstrating his planes. I think also a small add in FWW that repeats like those LN plane ads would help....small but in every issue. Your lanes are great! I talk to Woodworkers who never heard of them...so name recognition is essential....maybe some qoutes by woodworkers on how they perform so terrific...and they do!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Hi Steve,

Contact SCORE (Service Corps Of Retired Executives) in your area. They are sponsered by the Small Business Administration. They will be able to help you develope a marketing strategy that will keep you busy and profitable.

I will try to find their contact information for portland for you.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

4. Hi Mark,

Steve did the FWW thing a lot--many do not even know. Many/most never really look at those small ads. And they are costly for the amount of sales.

To be sure, Steve, you are at a crux. Your desire is growing. Sales are evidently not keeping pace with where you want to be. I don't have any pithy advice. I do think the advice from Rob [evenfall] on the other board concerning talking with Joel is very good advice. Just as I think Chuck's SCORE recommendation is.

What Mark says is also true--a wider group of people need to recognize your name and product. Your idea of shows is a good one, I feel. How that is implemented is an issue. As well, you would need a large financial investment for the show space and the build material and time investment to not only keep up with current orders, but build what you anticipate selling at the shows.

As I think you've discovered, forum exposure has only been able to get you so far. As you know, I wish you the very best. You make a great product, from the wood to the iron--and your workmanship combining them--is tops.

Take care,

Mike

Small biz links

http://www.score.org/

There is a box at the bottom of the page to find Score near you. There are three that came up for Portland, OR.

http://sba.gov/regions/region10/services.html
    This is a list of the Small Business Development Centers for OR.

I have had positive experiences with these organizations here in PA. I hope that they can really help you out Steve.

As long as you have been at this they should be able to take your data and organize it into a form that you can use to grow your business and develope and awesome marketing plan. I hope you can get a cover or at least a major article in one of the big magazines.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Steve - I'm far from a marketing expert but I think getting exposure in the ww mags would be a great start. Maybe contact Popular WW and FWW to have them do reviews. My guess is the shows would not be a good return on investment in the beginning.

If you want some free marketing advice, I'd contact a local university with a business department. Talk with the Dean about using your company as a case study. When I was in school my senior year project for a business class was to study 2 or 3 companies and make recommendations to the company. You can get some pretty good advice especially from the grad students.

Mike

steve, this is off the cuff so take it with a grain of salt.......call the folks at minimax and speak to them. they are at all the big shows and your planes wouldn`t conflict with their line at all. may be something both of you could profit from? .02 tod

Perhaps I can help...

Steve,
    Maybe Mike and I can help. Mike is presenting Master Clinics for Delta at the Woodworking shows, we also have our American Sycamore Woodworking School booth at the shows. Our next show is in Indianapolis, January 20-22. Plus we will have our AS store here at the school that we could sell your planes. Drop me an e-mail if you want to talk business. aswr@ccrtc.com or call 1-877-845-2666
    Dana Van Pelt
    www.mywoodworkingschool.com

I don't like "me too" responses, but I've got to underscore everyone's advice. The SCORE folks and SBDC staff are great resources. I served for 5 years on the state advisory board for the North Dakota Small Business Development Centers, and the work they put into make small business a success is truly phenomenal. They can help a great deal. Likewise for SCORE. You get advice from people who have spent a lifetime being successful in business, certainly a good qualification in itself.

Bruce

Perhaps contact SMC members in the area of the shows. Give them a deep discount or a freebie plane if they'll spend two days doing demos. You could check on this by asking other SMCers to go by and see how its going. Just a random thought that came to me. Take it for what its worth.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Steve, I can't help you with marketing ideas, but I do wish to point out an area I think could use some attention. I was in the market for a really good smoother this past summer. Heard good things about your planes. Sent emails - no response. Tried the phone number - no repsone. I ended up with a Stanley #4 type 16 that I'm tuning to within an inch of it's life. But the no response thing kind of bothered me and I can't believe I'm the only one. I don't know it you're trying to do all that by yourself? Answer phones, answer emails, build planes, and everything else, but maybe it would be worthwhile to get help with the answering customers part of it. I sure hope to own a Knight Toolworks plane someday, but right now back to the Stanley.
    Feel the wind and set yourself a bolder course

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gabbay
    Steve - I'm far from a marketing expert but I think getting exposure in the ww mags would be a great start. Maybe contact Popular WW and FWW to have them do reviews. My guess is the shows would not be a good return on investment in the beginning.
    I have had 5 or 6 writeups so far. the first copule really helped and after that I bet I did not sell 8 planes from them including the one in fine woodworking.
    but reviews just seem to happen.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

Steve,

You might consider a Manufaturers Forum here at SawMill Creek. A Private Forum at SMC would allow you to answer tech support questions, promote existing and new products and have access to over 6,000 real woodworkers. I doubt that if you sent out 30,000 catalogs you would get anywhere near this kind of exposure. Including the Guests that visit SMC we are seeing over eleven million hits per month and about 3,000 visits per day...not many commercial stores see that kind of traffic.

I know you have a quality product and expect our Members would frequent your Forum daily. Your experience and knowledge would almost guarentee lots of traffic and you can tend to your Forum daily as it fits your schedule.

Just a thought! Contact Aaron Koehl (webmaster@sawmillcreek.org) for details if you decide a Manufactureres Forum is of interest.

Dont know how you'd go about pulling this off, but if you could somehow get on one of the WW TV shows you'd probably generate quite a bit of business. I've seen quite a few episodes of NYWS or the Scott Phillips show (forget the show name) where they do a project that requires an outside expert for how-to advice. Maybe you could get one of them interested in doing an episode on making wooden planes using you as the subject matter expert ?? Just a thought.
    Use the fence Luke

Exposure is key, so getting the product into the hands of potential owners has got to be at the top of the list, or near it anyway.

So how about providing a freebie to WW clubs that could auction them off or at least give 'em a good work out during a meeting. Seems like a club or two per month should be financially palatable in the beginning. You'd probably get some pretty quick impulse purchases the next day, or at least learn if the strategy holds water.

Or something along this line.
    Only the Blue Roads