Thread: Protecting a Painted Finish

Protecting a Painted Finish

My daughter just finished painting her kitchen cabinets - nice job, too - but is disappointed with the poly she used to protect the paint - seems the edges chip easily. She used a Ben Moore product Stays Clear Acrylic Polyurethane for "floors and trim" - I guess that is what was recommended by the instructions she followed. She has applied several coats and still finds that the paint chips easily. I checked the edges of her doors and drawers and there is not a build-up of paint that may be the cause. Perhaps the poly simply has not yet cured completely - been only a few days. Her surface prep was appropriate - the original stained finish was sanded and cleaned. The antique finish required several coats and she allowed several days between coats - and did the light sanding between coats.

Is there another product that will protect the edges better or is this just the nature of the beast?

Ray
    Semper Fi

What kind of paint did she use?? Putting varnish over a soft finish (like latex paint) is always going to be problematic. That's why the pros will paint with oil-based paint and leave it at that for kitchen cabinet refinishing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Well....

If you say it "chips", I'd say the urethane has dried. It sounds as if it hasn't adhered to the surface. It won't cure for a month or more, though. If she bought the urethane from a "real paint store" ask them, they are pros. As Jim said, a hard finish over a soft finish is not ideal. Did she sand, or steel wool, between clear coats?
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

"Did she sand, or steel wool, between clear coats?"
    Phil, she sanded - and after talking with some paint guys at the local woodworking show this weekend, I am thinking that neither the urathane or the paint has cured - as you said, it may take some months for the whole thing to cure properly so it appears that patience and care are in order.

I replaced the hardware and rehung the doors today and did not find excessive chiping - perhaps she found some areas with paint buildup that were more easily chipped - lets wait this one out and I'll report back in a month or so.
    Thanks guys.
    Ray
    Semper Fi