Thread: Nooitgedagt Chisels

Nooitgedagt Chisels

I have an opportunity to buy a new set of 8 Nooitgedagt (.25" - 1.5")chisels for under $100.oo. I would like to know how they compare to the other common name brands (LeeValley, etc...)that sell within + or - 20% of that price.

Please advise,

Juan

Juan, that was my first set of chisels, they sharpen nicely and hold an edge well, Mine had some type of composite handle that was impossible to break and they were oval in cross section so they didn't roll off the bench. I still have them but they have been retired to carpentry work. You can see them occasionally on e-bay with wooden handles.
    Dennis

I use these (wooden handles) all the time. They are pretty good and I don't really feel the need to make any changes. I also have the blue Marples chisels but never touch them anymore since I got my Nooitgedadt Chisels.

$100 is pretty steep. If you are patient, you can find them on ebay for much less than that. I think I bought my set of 8 from Sell2all.com for about $40 a few years ago. I haven't seen that deal lately from them (they'll get you on shipping fees) but, others have listed this set. There's a set right now on ebay that expires in 2 days- the price is around $20 now. I'd probably cap my max at $50 and wait until the right deal comes around.

Hope this is helpful.
    Ernie Hobbs
    Winston-Salem, NC

About 10-12 years ago I bought a set of N. made pigsticker mortise chisels made by them for Stanley Goldenburg. At that time, these were the only chisels of this pattern available new. They were very reasonably priced (about $50-60 for a set of six) and their performance was good considering the price. I put a 35 degree bevel on them and they worked well enough.....about on par with Marples blue chips....similarly priced for their quality.

But they didn't compare whatsoever in performance to the various vintage chisels of the same pattern from English makers such as Ward, Sorby, etc. that I picked up one by one since then. When I had accumulated enough good chisels, I sold the N's for cheap.

I have the wooden ones and they are just like the Bergs which are some of the finest ever made...I think Derek Cohen has them also...reallly great!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Nooitgedagt Chisels

Juan,

I have a set of these chisels I am willing to part with if you are interested. Check your private messages.

Don

The Nooitgedachts are a good, general-purpose chisel. Excellent Swedish steel and handles that are identical to a vintage Berg. The sidewalls are a little too thick to get into the corners of dovetails. I tend to use them for rough work, but that is because I have a few sets of chisels and can be fussy.

I bought the set of 8 chisels (1/4" to 1-1/2") on eBay a few years ago as they had received such praise on Badger Pond. They cost then about $30, however I have not seen them for sale in the past few years. At $100 they may be a tad expensive when you can get a set of 6 Two Cherries (unpolished!!! DON'T get the polished version) for $85 from Craftsmans Choice: http://www.craftsmanstudio.com/html_p/L!5001501.htm

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    The Nooitgedachts are a good, general-purpose chisel. Excellent Swedish steel and handles that are identical to a vintage Berg. The sidewalls are a little too thick to get into the corners of dovetails. I tend to use them for rough work, but that is because I have a few sets of chisels and can be fussy.

I bought the set of 8 chisels (1/4" to 1-1/2") on eBay a few years ago as they had received such praise on Badger Pond. They cost then about $30, however I have not seen them for sale in the past few years. At $100 they may be a tad expensive when you can get a set of 6 Two Cherries (unpolished!!! DON'T get the polished version) for $85 from Craftsmans Choice: http://www.craftsmanstudio.com/html_p/L!5001501.htm

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Why not get the polished version? Wow, just realized the date of your post when I went to look at them and they were $ 150 for the set of 6! The price has doubled in 3 years??! The two cherries were $10 cheaper on mikes tools!!
    Last edited by herb fellows; 05-22-2008 at 1:02 PM. Reason: spelling

Hey, Sawmill Creek is just like an old friend - you can pick up on an old conversation 2-1/2 years later.

The polished Two Cherries have a little problem with rounding on the backs from the polishing process. This needs to be flattened which can take some significant time.

I have these chisels. I spent the time flattening, and love the chisels. They hold an edge well and feel right in my hands.

Brian
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Great chisels, they vary between $60 and $350 per set on ebay. I have sold roughly 60 sets. I use them everyday. My personal feeling with regard to the old Bartons, Bucks, Witherbys, etc is that their reputations are mostly hype. I own in the vicinity of 500 chisels of every conceivable brand and age. Several decades ago I used a Rockwell hardness tester on 50 or so chisels of assorted makes and ages. For good quality chisels the variation was statistically in the weeds, less that 4 points on the scale roughly from 58 - 62. My personal favorites are Freuds (octagonal wooden handle) or Bergs. Neither is that much better I simply like the handle shape of the former and the length of the latter. The N's work well but are a bit long to be a perfect fit for me.

Buy some decent chisels that are comfortable in your hands and don't look back.
    Gentleman Jim