Thread: tapping 220 for 110

tapping 220 for 110

My DC is outside the shop so I use the Long Ranger remote at the saw to operate it. My hearing is such that I can not hear it Is it possible to tap half of that box that feeds the DC and take that 110v into the shop to light a bulb that would tell me if the DC is running or not?
    Bill

If you have four wires running to the DC (two hot, one neutral and one ground) it's possible. Your switch on the DC would have to be a 2 pole switch, breaking both hots. If so, I don't know what code would say but electrically it would work.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

You could also get a 240V pilot light. They are pretty easy to find on the interweb.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Seemann View Post
    You could also get a 240V pilot light. They are pretty easy to find on the interweb.
    Much better suggestion.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Most LED designed for commercial use are rated 120-277 volts.

Thank you! It never occurred to me that a LED would do the job and no 110v.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Gebhardt View Post
    Thank you! It never occurred to me that a LED would do the job and no 110v.
    Bill
    What is the rating of the circuit? Depending on the size, overcurrent protection may be required for a indicator/pilot light, BTW since the OP is in the People's Republic of Chico, it is on the PG&E system, which means 110 & 220V is not available, residential supply voltage is pretty consistent at 244-245V, the downtown is a 120/208 network or 208Y/120V.