Thread: Considering Pen Turning but what do I need?

Considering Pen Turning but what do I need?

I am considering trying my hand at pen turning and was wondering if you could give me some recommendations on what I need to get started. I already have a delta lathe with 36 " bed and Sorby micro turning tools. Are there any starter kits that you would recommned that might have a good selection of tools necessary for turning pens?

Thanks.
    The truth is always visible but often not seen.
    Measure twice, and cut--WAIT!-- better measure again then cut once, twice or whatever it takes to fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Collins
    ...Are there any starter kits that you would recommned that might have a good selection of tools necessary for turning pens?...
    Welcome Dennis! I highly recommend Berea Hardwood's 24K Gold slimline starter set. For a very good price, you get 5 pens and 5 pencils or 10 pens, mandrel, taper, and bushings....everything that you need. I have no affiliation but they sure steered me in the right direction. By the time you finish those 10....you'll be hooked and ready for more!!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

John thanks for the suggestion. Seems like pen turning might not be a favorite subject for this forum. You have been the only post and I appreciate your suggestion very much. Any other advise for a beginner?
    Measure twice, and cut--WAIT!-- better measure again then cut once, twice or whatever it takes to fit.

I'm not sure if it is a matter of a "favorite" subject necessarily. We seem kinda well-rounded in subject matter. Sometimes, timing is an issue with getting a response. There are Pen-only forums out there but I kinda prefer hanging around here. The only other advise I can give you is what the guys at Berea told me. When you start doing pens, go for a straight boring design on your first set of pens. This will teach you control, measurement and kit fit-up....not to mention finishing, which is a big part of pen-making. After you've done those first few, expand your design, play with thickness, maybe make a custom centerband or two. Then graduate to some of the more expensive and classical kits. This is a very sober and methodical approach but pays off in the future....like most education I reckon. Best of luck! Show off your work!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Hi Dennis,
    Love your doggie, BTW!
    You might give Bill Baumbeck a call at Arizona Silhouettes. They have an extensive supply of pen making stuff plus some videos. Bill will steer you in the right direction if you tell him what you just told us. I recommend, as John did, starting out with the slimline style.
    Dick Sing has a good book on pen turning, too.

Thanks John and Carole for your insight and direction. I really wanted to try and start making pens as Christmas gifts to Co-workers. Looks like I got too late a start for this year, but is that not the way it happens. Good intentions seem to go no where unless to take the first step. I really got hooked on the idea when a friend of mine showed me a pen he made from olive tree wood he got while on a trip to Jeursalem.

Thanks again.

Dennis,

Give me a call. I have some kits that you can practice on in my shop. It will only take one to get you hooked. I also have some information from pen kit suppliers that you can have.

Bill Sampson, Richmond

Dennis, John and Carole have good info. I am just getting started. I just got a Delta LA 200 lathe although it seems like Jet is the lathe of choice. I got basically the same info that John got. The guy at Woodcraft told me to start with just getting some square wood and making it round then put some designs on it to learn how to use each tool. Then go to slimline pens to learn control, then to fancier pens and from there the sky is the limit. I am going to call Arizona Silhouettes to talk with Bill today because they have slimline pen kits for $1.55. For that price if I mess up I won't feel so bad. I bought two books. One is Woodturning: A Foundation Course by Keith Rowley and Pen Turners Workbook by Barry Gross. Both recommended by members here on the Turners Forum.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

ha

hmm...not sure if this was said, but doesnt he also need a pen part pusher thing..? not sure im a beginner and use my dads drill press to do it but just thought id say something cause i didnt see anything about this tool cya