Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jointer Help>>>>>

Red face Jointer Help>>>>>

I am a woodworker want to be, I fell in love with the idea of creating modern furniture a year ago and I been colleting tools ever since, I have build a nice shop (not insulated yet) and also have been enquiring some nice tools (Saw Stop table saw, MM16 band saw …. I recently purchase a jointer thinking I will be able to have my boards perfectly flat.

This is where you season woodworkers can make fun of us poor beginners, I do not know what I am doing wrong, I have my new beautiful 8” grizzly jointer with spiral heads. I have level and tuned it, as they recommend. All looks perfect, BUT when I took a board that is slightly cup and run it through the jointer, the boards cuts at the front of the board but does not cut at the back, I keep on passing the board through the jointer and by the time is looks like it is flat I have the front part about ˝ inch in thinness and the back is still about 1 inch. Close to the original size of the wood. Another time I try this again and this time I pass the board and after a few passes I flip the board so the front is the back and I end up with the ends being thin and the middle thicker.
    <O
    I made sure that the jointer table is perfectly straight and there are no dips in the cast iron. HELP I do not know what I am doing wrong. I do not want to try this with my good wood.
    <O
    I think I am in love… never thought a person can fall in love with tools, I think is a vise and I have lost control…… but I love this new found fascination .
    <O
    <O
    Thanks
    <O
    Fred

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Welcome Fred,

Are you placing consistant preasure on the outfead table??
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Fred double check that the outfeed table is ABSOLUTELY parallel to the in feed table and at the exact level to the cutter head. Just a suggestion but how are you checking the location of the outfeed table. You need a rather long straight edge I would think. Just $.02 Hope this helps

Jim

Fred if the tables are parallel with each other and the outfeed is even with the top of the knife circle then it may be technique.

Using a jointer is a lot like using a hand plane. You want to take off the high spots until you can take a full pass.

It's important to have most of your hand pressure on the outfeed table as soon as possible since this is your reference for flat.

If your board is cupped in its length (like a big smile ) put the convex face down and sort of balance on the infeed table. make a few passes and you will take some off the middle of the board creating a flat area. This will often remove some stress and the board will tend to straighten some. You may be able to continue on this face and finish flattening the board or you might need to fip it over and take some off each end. If you flip it so the concave face is down carefully place the center over the cutterhead and take some off the trailing end then spin it around and do the same on the other end.try not to press down in the center of the board when doing this as it will just spring back after you make your cut.

A jointer seems like a very simple machine but to get it to perform at it's best requires some practice. Just like with a handplane after you make a pass or two sight down the board and see where you need to concentrate your efforts.

Regarding safety, Don't have your hands on the board directly over the cutterhead and don't have a finger or two hanging over the back end trying to push. As soon as practical transfer both hands to the outfeed table.
    Keep the tables well waxed so they are nice and slippery. You should do this with all surfaces that you are sliding wood on.

If you are jointing a piece that is bowed and the concave face is down expect that it will hit the edge of the outfeed table when it passes the cutterhead. This is one reason I start on the other face and center the board if on the concave face.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

What Steve said, with the addition that your hand pressure should only be enough to keep the board on the table(s)...not so much that you deform the board. Why? Because you only want to cut off the high spots.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Fred,

I just got a video from Woodcraft for $11.95 called "Tuning-up A Jointer" by John White who takes care of and test machines for Fine Woodworking. It has some good information and I think that it is well worth the money. Could be of some help. Allen

jointer help

I really what to thank you guys for all the advice and how fast you have responded. I have an expensive straight edge that is true that I got from Lee Valley, I used it to make sure the table is perfectly lineup.

I think this problem might have to do with the way I am passing the board through the jointer, I put even pressure all the way and never transfer it to the out feed table? That is what the tech. from Grizzly told to do, but he also said this morning that a board that is curved lengthwise is almost impossible to make it flat.

I will try transferring my weight to the out feed table, this brings another question. Do I put any weight to the front of the board? If I do I will always be removing stock at the beginning?

Again thank you guys, I hope one day I can contribute some learn knowledge as you all of you have,

Fred

Put the board, concave side down, on the jointer table. Applying virtually no downward pressure, slide the board through the jointer, moving your hands to the outfeed side as soon as about one third of the board has passed over the head.

The jointer will cut at the beginning of the board, and again at the end of it, probbly leaving the middle portion of it uncut.

Repeat this several times. Each pass should result in more of the board, front and rear, being cut, and leaving a shorter cection of center uncut with each pass.

When you get a smooth, continuous cut for the full length of the board, you're done. Now you neet to move the board over to the planer and remove the high portion of the convex side - again making multiple passes.

On a severely bowed board, you may end up making a quarter-inch board out of a one-inch one, but they'll be flat and straight - at least until the weather changes and they warp again...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney
    Put the board, concave side down, on the jointer table. Applying virtually no downward pressure, slide the board through the jointer, moving your hands to the outfeed side as soon as about one third of the board has passed over the head.

The jointer will cut at the beginning of the board, and again at the end of it, probbly leaving the middle portion of it uncut.
    That's what I do, with no pressure on the middle of the board. Otherwise, the board bends from the pressure, and just springs back into a bowed shape when you are done.

This is different than the usual advice one reads to start putting pressure on the outfeed table just past the cutterhead as soon as possible, but that just ends up turning bowed boards into tapered ones, for me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney
    ... moving your hands to the outfeed side as soon as about one third of the board has passed over the head.
    I'll modify this as 1/3 of a short board might be appropriate for safety, but it will be much less for a long board. I would describe it as, "Shift your focus to the outfeed side as soon as enough material has passed over the cutterhead to allow you to be able to place both hands on the outfeed side safety while alternating hands."

Be sure the jointer is set for a light cut, too. It requires more passes, but lets you finesse only enough material off the side of the board as necessary to flatten it. Don't worry if there is a little bit left when you stop...if most of the board is flat, you can then use the planer to true up both sides, so you don't take too much off only one side. This is important as taking a lot more off one side can result in a moisture imbalance and more movement after milling.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Sounds to me that the tables are not coplanner. The outfeed table may be lower towards the end of the jointer....check it with a thraight edge...make them the same height and you should see no light below. ...It may be riding down hill as you go on the outfeed side.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Hi Fred,

I can relate to your jointer experience. I managed to turn the very first bowed board that I jointed into a giant wedge, too. As they say... was it the car, or the nut behind the wheel? Jointer was adjusted just fine-- operator error in this case. After a little head scratching, more reading, and some practice I now can successfully take the bow out of boards. Jim, Barry, & Jim have pretty well hit the basics and the finer points of the procedure that works for me. I'm sure with this procedure and some more practice, you'll find your zen with your beloved jointer.

Welcome to SMC, by the way. Ain't it great?

Dan

It sounds as if your outfeed table is a few thousandths higher than your cutting circle. This will cause the cut to be tapered. Try dropping the outfeed table down until you have snipe and bring it up until the snipe disappears.

Fred,

You've already gotten lots of good advice so just let me say:

1. Welcome to the creek.
    2. No one is going to laugh at us beginners because
    we out number the experts, besides they went
    through the same things to become experts!

It really is nice to have a place like this to ask these questions
    rather than sitting your shop staring at a problem wondering
    what to do next.

I'm sure you'll master that beast.

Dave Fried

Well said David! And thanks for echo-ing it in print!