Thread: Planer, Feeding roller slipping ???

Planer, Feeding roller slipping ???

HI everyone.

I have a 22-560 Delta 12.5" planer. I bought it a couple years ago but dont do that much woodworking.

It recently started to "slip" on the wood. Do I need to change the rollers ??? or just have them cleaned ??? What should I use to clean it ??? I just raise the head at 6", and naturally unplug the beast ;-), and clean the rollers in place ??? I dont pass much softwood trough it, mainly harwood, also the original knives (original side) are still doing a very good job (nice finish).

Another one on the same theme, the nut holding the pulley on the cutter shaft got loose a couple of times, it cost me a new belt, since I replaced the belt, I applied a couple dabs of Lock-Tite on the threads and it did not loosened again. Did it happen to some of you ??? This has not affected the quality of the cut either, there was just a bad noise coming out of it, in fact the plastic cover over the belt is what kept the nut and the pulley on the arbor.....

Guy

Hi Guy,

Go to Amazon.com and look at the reviews for the Delta TP400LS. It's basically the same planer, from what I've read. "G. Garvin" wrote a good review that includeds the loose nut problem.

I'm actually picking up "G. Garvin's" TP400LS Saturday.

I read about slipping rollers either here or on Woodnet.net this week. If I remember correctly, people said to clean the rollers and wax the infeed and outfeed tables. Do a search and see what you come up with.

If its a rubber roller..

clean with a damp towel, dampened with water only
    Lynn J. Sonier

I would probably use acetone, and then not use the machine for a bit until the acetone evaporated.

As Scott mentioned, I also use acetone. unplugged as you so rightly mention.
    Also, Careful with the fingers in there. DAMHIKT
    Last edited by Brad Schmid; 12-15-2005 at 4:49 PM.

i never use petroleum products to clean neoprene rollers! i don`t know what this models rollers are made of but i have melted the rollers on an older delta lunchbox with mineral spirits. .02 tod

Wax the bed. It will probably correct your problem. I used to have the same trouble with my Delta 12" and a good coating of paste wax fixes it.

CPeter

Guy, if all of this doesn't do the job, change the knives. That is what worked on mine.
    Bob

I agree with CPeter. Clean that puppy and wax the bed. I had the same issue with my Delta planer and it feeds wood through silky smooth now.
    "When you earnestly believe that you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts,
    there is no end to what you can't do."

Quote Originally Posted by CPeter James
    Wax the bed. It will probably correct your problem. I used to have the same trouble with my Delta 12" and a good coating of paste wax fixes it.

CPeter
    Yep, what he said.
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Thanks everyone.

You make me realise it may be some feet of wood have been fed trough it since I spayed TopCoat on the table, I will start with this, then clean the rollers, as I have quite a few suggestions and warnings about what to use, I will double-check with Delta.

Done.... No Acetone for sure..... Mineral spirit either..... something not concentrated..... He suggested to use household product line window cleaner.

Guy

For cleaning the rollers, I use the "orange juice" from CMT. It works better than anything else I have tries and is relatively safe.

CPeter

Thnaks everyone, it is OK Now.

Well, the table did not just needed to be lubed but also to be cleaned.....

So I cleaned the table and gave it 2 applications of Top Cote, the celaned the exposed part of the rollers (I did not bother to work hard to turn them half a turn).

It did not splipped at all this W-E, it worked on white ash, some cherry, walnut and 8" maple witthoutr any slippage !!!!

Guy

Guy,

I cleaned mine with alcohol. I have the DeWalt with rubber rolls. Alcohol works fine for me. And it is not too strong for the rubber rolls.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts. (Bertrand Russell)

Guy, I used to own the Delta 12 1/2" planner and loved it. When I first got it, the belt drive came off and destroyed the belt and plastic housing. I called Delta and they said the factory "forgot" to use loc tite on the nut holding the gear! They replaced the belt and housing but told me I had to buy the loc tite! Anyway, after doing that, I didn't have another problem.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1