The State of California has joined a couple other states and Canada in banning Denatured Alcohol this year. It is no longer available in any hardware store, big box or woodworking supply houses.

That said, I still like to use shellac and went on a mission this week to find suppliers and substitutes.

--Isopropyl Alcohol. Most drug stores contain the 95% pure variety, with the remaining 5% being water. It works, but flakes need to be thoroughly ground up and allowed to sit for a day or two. It also doesn't dry as fast as DNA.
--Camping Stove Alcohol. I'm not sure why this is being sold, but it is. It is nearly 100% pure and can be found in surplus stores and camp supply stores.
--Ethanol. Food grade ethanol is still available, but one must pay excise taxes on it. It is pretty expensive, but the good news is you can make a batch of shellac in the morning and get wasted in the afternoon. A true dual purpose win-win.
--Everclear. I've been unable to find any strength more than 151 proof. I haven't tried this yet.

Does anyone else have any experience with this issue? Please do not turn this into a political discussion as to the merits of the law, it is what it is.