Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Guided Circular Saw question?

Guided Circular Saw question?

Hi All, I just got Dino's EZ system and although I haven't used it yet, it is very well made IMHO. Now I was thinking of how to best get an even rip cut using this system.

With the table saw you set the rip fence and you get perfectly the same width along the whole piece. For example the cut piece is 4" wide on one end and exactly 4" wide on the other.

With the guided system, how do you best accomplish this. I thought somebody here made a jig to help with this? Was is Jay?
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Doesn't Dino sell a gizmo that provides that functionality? Perhaps it's the new repeater attachment.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I did make a jig. It's essentially a sliding t-square made out of a piece of t-track. I use it to align both ends of the rail. My newer improved version has a scale and cursor.

There's a pic at the end of this thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=18261

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Doesn't Dino sell a gizmo that provides that functionality? Perhaps it's the new repeater attachment.
    Yes, the EZ system includes a Smart Repeater for $230:

http://www.eurekazone.com/products/detail/ezr18.html
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by JayStPeter
    I did make a jig. It's essentially a sliding t-square made out of a piece of t-track. I use it to align both ends of the rail. My newer improved version has a scale and cursor.

There's a pic at the end of this thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=18261

Jay
    Thanks Jay, Maybe I should have done a search on this first. Oh well, next time I'll remember, I hope.

Thanks Jim, Dave, and Jay St. Peter

I like Jay's idea of setting up the guide without actually having to measure the distance of both ends of the guide to the edge of the board. This type set up always beats measuring to me, at least in most situations. It's kind of like a story stick for the guide. It seems this is the trickiest part of setting up the guide but one that has to be mastered to make it work well. Thanks guys for reminding me!

Gee whiz Dev, is it an infomercial because it's about the SmartGuide? I guess it wouldn't be an infomercial if it was posted by a user of another brand...

"Hey Paul... explain to us again why you think SmartGuide doesn't get a fair shake on these forums?"
    Last edited by Paul Berendsohn; 12-17-2005 at 9:04 AM.

Hi Paul.
    I don't think this is a GG???
    Is only Dev, trying to protect what he learn, and have something to talk.
    All others are just trying to find a better way.
    The repeaters are available for both systems and jay's idea can be used by owners of both and even other systems.
    Peace.

YCF Dino

Because you're a nicer guy than I am I edited my response Dino... I guess it's true what they say about old dogs and new tricks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev Emch
    Well, this infomercial was entertaining....
    Dev, I'm disappointed in this statement from you based on all your positive contributions to this forum. How did you arrive at this conclusion? I just don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev Emch
    Well, this infomercial was entertaining....

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Makropoulos
    Hi Paul.
    ...The repeaters are available for both systems and jay's idea can be used by owners of both and even other systems.
    Peace.

YCF Dino
    Dino - From your statement I inferred the Repeater is available for Festool guide rails. Where can we find information about that option? I cannot find any mention of the Festool model of the Smart Repeater on your web site. Thanks.
    Last edited by Dave Falkenstein; 12-20-2005 at 7:14 PM.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

Hiya David...

I should be quiet why exactly?

(P.S... I believe you meant that Dino "implied" not "inferred". Dictionary.com has this to say:
    "Usage Note: Infer is sometimes confused with imply, but the distinction is a useful one. When we say that a speaker or sentence implies something, we mean that it is conveyed or suggested without being stated outright: <CITE>When the mayor said that she would not rule out a business tax increase, she implied (not inferred) that some taxes might be raised.</CITE> Inference, on the other hand, is the activity performed by a reader or interpreter in drawing conclusions that are not explicit in what is said: <CITE>When the mayor said that she would not rule out a tax increase, we inferred that she had been consulting with some new financial advisers, since her old advisers were in favor of tax reductions."</CITE>
    <CITE></CITE>
    <CITE>I was sure you'd want to know...Best wishes!)</CITE>

Last edited by Paul Berendsohn; 12-17-2005 at 2:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Falkenstein
    Dino - You infer the Repeater is available for Festool guide rails. Where can we find information about that option? I cannot find any mention of the Festool model of the Smart Repeater on your web site. Thanks.
    I inferred the same question in another thread this week. Dino's response was:

"Hi Frank.
    All the ez smart stuff can be made to work with all systems. The Universal (F-repeater),
    The F-smart clamping system and the smart table top kit for the MFT are in production the same time.
    Just hold on to your table saw for few more weeks.
    Thanks Frank.
    YFCF Dino"

My interpretation of Dino's response is that the Festool Repeater is not yet in production but that he expects it to be in a few weeks. I always doube such estimates, so my guess it that we will see it in three months.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Falkenstein
    Dino - You infer the Repeater is available for Festool guide rails. Where can we find information about that option? I cannot find any mention of the Festool model of the Smart Repeater on your web site. Thanks.

Paul - Be quiet, please!!

Dev - Be reasonable, please!!

Everyone - no fights, please.
    Hi Dave.
    This is the first prototype.
    http://eurekazone.com/gallery/Universal-EZ-Smart
    Next two weeks we should have inventory.
    I don't go to the Edison show this week
    in order to get done with the final testing.
    I can post some pictures later from today's tests.

YFCF Dino