Planning on doing some slabbing this weekend. I could use some advice on this black walnut I've got. New to this site so here's my attempt to upload pics.
Here is the stash I'll be working with, a handful of black walnuts and some oaks.
20191020_093250-E.jpg

Here is what I'm thinking for the walnut. 4/4 on the outer narrower stuff, a handful of nice 8/4 or 9/4 slabs. For the center around the pith I'm thinking 16/4 for mantles and split down the center at the pith, of course that will really be determined by the log diameter, which I don't know for sure. I do remember however that my 20" bar didn't cross the full width of the big end, can't recall the small end though.
BLACK WALNUT.jpg

Any advice is appreciated. Also advice on stacking and drying, this stuff will likely be outside for a while. I read that tar paper is the best cover, is it as simple as sticker and cover the top with some weight or is there a little more to it than that. (Still new to milling, everything else I have cut is stacked under cover so sun and rain isn't an issue, fans in places with no wind- this isn't really an option in this case)