Thread: Wipe on poly maybe?

Wipe on poly maybe?

Just finished turning a segmented bowl. First one, wow lots of work and many hours into it. As I don't want to mess up the finish, I have one coat of poly brushed on and sanded. Usually when I put the second coat of poly on anything, it shows the brush marks. Thinking maybe I should use wipe on poly. Have never used it before. Can I just wipe on the regulare poly or do I have to get poly thats specifically for wiping? Any suggestions appreciated! Randy

Get some scrap and practice on that before trying anything new on your project - avoids a lot of heartache. Depending upon the properties of the poly you are using you may be able to wipe it on w/o thinning. Normally, however, it's easier if you thin it 25% or so with Naptha or mineral spirits.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Randall J Cox View Post
    Just finished turning a segmented bowl. First one, wow lots of work and many hours into it. As I don't want to mess up the finish, I have one coat of poly brushed on and sanded. Usually when I put the second coat of poly on anything, it shows the brush marks. Thinking maybe I should use wipe on poly. Have never used it before. Can I just wipe on the regulare poly or do I have to get poly thats specifically for wiping? Any suggestions appreciated! Randy
    You could wipe regular poly but the wipe on stuff is thinned a little more and also has something like flood penetrol in it to slow down the drying time. If it's cool where you are you could skip the penetrol. On turnings I like to leave the turning where I can put it back in the lathe and do the between the coats sanding. It does a better job sanding while turning.