Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Things you would have done different when Constructing your Shop

Things you would have done different when Constructing your Shop

I'm a year away (hopefully) from constructing my shop and would like to know from those who have built their own shop what you would have done differently. Anything goes! Thanks!

Made it twice as large

Mine is 20 x 24 and I wish it were twice as big. It is a constant struggle to find space in it. Too many big tools.

CPeter

Well, "anything goes" could imply "dream shop" type of suggestions.

I really can't think of anything major that I would have done differently. I did install 4" PVC electrical conduit under the floor for Table saw dust collection. If I were to do it again, I would have used 6" instead.

I've got a basement shop 16.5' x 33' x 9' It would be nice to have a little more space.

go as large as you can, 14ft ceilings, 3-phase power, as much natural light as practical, seperate building for compressors and flamables. if at all possible place it where you have to drive to the shop, even if it`s only a 1/4 mile. run all electric in metal conduit........02 tod

Tod...why drive to the shop? Never heard that one before.

my suggestiosn..Tall ceilings, and more windows...up high in the useless space above where you can reach with out an stool. Flexiblity in design--meaning dont set your outlets and dust collection in one location unless you are absolutely sure you want the tool you intended to be there always in that spot. Tool prefernces change--for instance my table saw is mainly just a work station with a lot of my projects. The cross cut miter saw adn band saw have been gettign much more use. If my tabel saw was anchored in position so to speak. I wouldnt be able to move it out of the way and let another tool take center stage.
    Last edited by Rob Bourgeois; 12-19-2005 at 9:52 AM.
    What if the light at the end of the tunnel is a train?

More free space. Lots of more free space. Tons of future expansion free space. I'm talking lots and lots here.

Tod - Why the 1/4 mile commute. Mine is thirty seven steps from the kitchen and all indoors, Saves on gas, long johns, the need for dual coffee pots, plumbing, etc

EDIT: And if you're planning on a DC System, consider anything other than a slab so you can run all your ductwork below the floor and still have access to it. Why? Besides being downright unsightly, all those drops tend to get it the way while maneuvering stuff, spinning lumber, etc
    Last edited by Andy Hoyt; 12-19-2005 at 10:01 AM.
    Only the Blue Roads

Hank, in my new shop the bottom of all electrical outlets are 48 1/4" from the floor. I wished now I'd placed them 52" or so up from the floor. Having them up high allows me to stand sheet goods against the wall and still have access. If I'd placed them higher, I could frame in wood storage with some 2x on the floor and still have access.

2ndly, if you're not planning on bringing vehicles into the shop (I am) I'd consider a couple of double doors instead of overhead garage doors for bringing in materials and large shop tools. Though I have an insulated garage door, it still doesn't seal as tightly as double insulated doors would.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 12-19-2005 at 10:03 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

fellows, i`ve had my shop attached to the house, it`s not something i would ever do again. i like having to "go" to the shop, besides the obvious dust/odor/noise issues it gives me a seperate enviorment in witch to build and the commute lets me get into the correct mindset.....when i`m home i`m with my family, when i`m at the shop i`m woodworking, or pecking at this keyboard on smc .....02 tod

Not much would be changed

I am happy (and somewhat surprised) to be able to say that there is not a lot that I would do differently. Here is the list:

1) Extra space would, of course be nice, but I am pushing the legal limit (33%) for total building coverage on my lot. I would add on foot to the north wing of the building (which would increase the interior space by 10.5 square feet -up from 431).

2) Make the walls 6 inches higher all around. Right now they are 8 feet at one side and 6.5 feet at the other rising to 10 feet at the peek.

3) Put in one additional (2 foot by 6 foot) skylight. I installed 3, but one more would be great.

Oh, I agree with Todd on this,

I don't have it but you need that separation.

The ability to close the door and walk away or vice versa

does wonders for the mindset. Also makes it less convenient

starting work(or play) at 4 in the morning. Or finishing.

Next shop on 3000 to 5000 sqft of concrete topped with a high

end metal building.

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Another thought to Tod's logic. I would personally love to have my shop located at a different location. I have a tendency to work on pieces way too late at night. Usually when I'm working late I tend to make mistakes. Nothing major but often it will be a problem that I have to now spend time fixing. This usually occurs when I should have never been in the shop to begin with. At 1AM I would be less apt to drive to the shop to work for an hour or 2 eliminating the late night mistakes. The idea of being "in the shop" and being with the family is another nice feature. I actually lock the door to my shop when I'm working now, since I had my oldest son scare the lights out of me when I was working one time. I turned around and he was behind be. Nice to know that nobody is behind you when you're all alone in the shop.
    "When we build, let us think that we build forever." - Ruskin

I'm relatively happy with my shop, given the size constraints that I can't change. There are, however three major things I would I would do differently if I were to do it over again.

First and foremost, I would have a hardwood floor. Concrete is VERY uncomfortable and hard on tools.

Second, I would plan for more wood storage. I'm about maxed out as it is and I don't have nearly enough storage room, especially for current projects.

Third, I would design dust collection into the shop plan. When I built my shop 15 years ago, dust collection wasn't a big issue for me and hardware for small shops wasn't nearly as advanced as it is today. I'd love to have a cyclone, but there's just no room.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wargo
    I actually lock the door to my shop when I'm working now, since I had my oldest son scare the lights out of me when I was working one time. I turned around and he was behind be. Nice to know that nobody is behind you when you're all alone in the shop.
    I work in the basement. The family knows not to open the door if they hear ANYTHING running. Like you, I had the begeezus scared out of me [while behind the TS] when my wife walked in and I didn't hear her.

Change my shop? Just about anything you could think of though space is the prime issue.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

I'm coming down the home stretch of re-doing my shop space (seems I've been saying this for the better part of a year now...). My advice is don't buy anything until you are ready to put it in its place and put it to use! I can't tell you the number of things I bought 1,2,3 years ago in anticipation of this project that are either in the way, now obsolete and a better item available (cyclone comes to mind here) or just plain not going to be used! Unless you're getting a serious "deal", wait until you're ready for it! My 2 shekels.
    Bill Simmeth
    Delaplane VA

Bigger, mine is 1600 sf enclosed.
    more natural lighting, skylights I think would be nice.
    in floor heat.
    Some things I really like are the cathedral ceiling and natural wood walls.
    These are just off the top of my head. I like my shop and am very pleased with most of it. But the perfiect shop is a continous evolution.
    Enjoy the journey,

Martin

---------------
    Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable --- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy --- think about such things. --- Paul of Tarsus