Thread: Suggestions for right handed kiradashi marking knife

Suggestions for right handed kiradashi marking knife

Looking for vendor/maker recommendations for a right handed/single bevel kiradashi marking knife. Thank you.
    Last edited by Brad Swanson; 12-20-2019 at 3:37 PM. Reason: clarify thread header

Brad, what price range are you expecting? $30 or $300?

https://hidatool.com/list/?q=kiridashi

Search eBay, but the spelling is “kiridashi”. Some very inexpensive but serviceable knives from about $30.

Tasai: http://japantool-iida.com/gem/2019/0...-by-tasai.html. If you need to know the price, you cannot afford it.

The best range are here, but be prepared to wait: https://www.japan-tool.com/

Regards from Vienna

Derek

I do not know about Kiridashi marking knives because I have never used one. But here is a couple of pictures of my A2 marking knife. it is either hand and I wouldn't use anything else. The tip is flame hardened with a torch and it is easy to sharpen. I love the double bevel marking knives and wouldn't switch for anything.

DSC03594.JPG DSC03595.JPGDSC03596.JPG
    Tom

I bought some right hand and left hand single bevel marking knives from Japan Woodworker some years back. I think they're called carving knives on the web site. They were laminated and hollow backed. I use the 1/2 inch wide ones.

For double beveled knives you can purchase violin knives in all different widths. SouthWest Strings is where I get them. They're less expensive than the Japanese knives.

Here are a couple of pictures. The first picture is of the knives in wooden sleeves that I made to protect the edges. The Japanese knives are not "regular" so the sleeve is fitted to each knife and I have to mark the knives so that I can get them back into the proper sleeve. The violin knives are regular so any one fits any sleeve made for them - so they're not marked.

The second picture shows two of the Japanese knives out of their sleeves - a right hand and a left hand. Note that the right hand has a red dot on the knife so I can tell the difference between the right and left hand knives. Also in the picture are two violin knives. All are about 1/2 inch although they're measured in mm.

Mike

Knives-1b.jpg Knives-2b.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 12-22-2019 at 8:27 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    The kiridashi knives in the links Derek posted do exhibit a beauty their users will come to appreciate, possibly to be reflected in their work. For many, this is enough to justify the cost.

For others, the beauty may be the simplicity of making their own:

Shop Made Knives.jpg

Here is the post on making them > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?229968

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

There are misunderstandings about handed knives. It is not necessary to have a specific handed blade.

I have many knives for marking. Knives for marking dovetails are small and thin-bladed. These are V-pointed for left- and right hand use.

Knives for general marking out are robust and have thicker and wider blades. The bevels on these are generally one-handed, and the bevel is wide. The width of the bevel makes it possible to use either right- or left handed ... simple use the bevel face as the blade back. Really quite easy.

A favourite marking knife of mine is this simple Stanley knife (made popular by Paul Sellars). It can be used left-and right - just tilt to allow for the double bevel ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    There are misunderstandings about handed knives. It is not necessary to have a specific handed blade.

I have many knives for marking. Knives for marking dovetails are small and thin-bladed. These are V-pointed for left- and right hand use.

Knives for general marking out are robust and have thicker and wider blades. The bevels on these are generally one-handed, and the bevel is wide. The width of the bevel makes it possible to use either right- or left handed ... simple use the bevel face as the blade back. Really quite easy.

A favourite marking knife of mine is this simple Stanley knife (made popular by Paul Sellars). It can be used left-and right - just tilt to allow for the double bevel ...

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Derek,

I agree and they are so cheap I have 'em scattered around the shop so one is always at hand and I do not have to hunt for a marking knife when needed.

ken

What I have been using...
    Ash Box Project, marking knife.JPG
    Easy to "sharpen"...just install a new blade...

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I found some interesting options on Etsy. Looking for a knife to help me mark for some kumiko projects.

My marking knives. A Veritas Striking Knife on top, a Czech Edge in the center, and a homebrew dovetail knife on the bottom made from a jigsaw blade and a scrap of rosewood. I use them right handed 99.99% of the time and like the looks of the Japanese single bevel designs. Perhaps I'll supplement my modest collection. I work in QSWO frequently and need something that's sturdy and super sharp to scribe a proper line.

4378209549_70a474a246_k.jpg
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Brad - check out Aframes Tokyo, they have some Yoshihide kiridashi in stock that are very affordable forge welded White 2 steel. https://www.aframestokyo.com/carpentry-cutlery.html

Derek - nice Damascus kiridashi. Who made it?
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

Brian, this looks like the same - or very similar - seller: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-Sh...FpsfZqs3LwwRfg

I do not recall when I purchased mine. I suspected it was eBay, and so did a quick search there. You can get one either handed.

Regards from Vienna

Derek

Derek, you are a long way from home, what gives.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bussey View Post
    Derek, you are a long way from home, what gives.
    Hi Tom

... just searching for Santa ... see: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....st-wishes-from

warm regards

Derek