Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bandsaw won’t cut straight

Bandsaw blades dull pretty fast, especially if just carbon steel. I've had good service since switching to Lenox diemaster bimetal blades. The carbides will last longer, but are too pricey for me and cut a wider kerf. The bimetals are a good compromise of price and performance. A dull blade is the first thing to suspect when a properly adjusted bladed won't cut straight.

I think all band saws have some drift, though, that has to be compensated in the fence.

I sell old blades as scrap metal. Sawmill blades once they break, shop bandsaw blades once they're too dull. I'd like to learn about sharpening and (if necessary) setting my dull blades, I don't know how it's done at home. I mail out sawmill blades to a sharpening guy but I don't know if he does little blades.

I will not settle for a bandsaw having some drift, in my experience there has always been a way to make them cut straight. I guess this come from running the sawmill over the last 12 years, that blade has to cut straight since there's no way to compensate so I keep trying till it's right.
    Zach

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    So, what does everyone do with their old blades? I have a couple to discard but putting them in the trash doesn't feel right, and our recycle service is pretty particular about what they take.
    Brian, I re-sharpen my 1/2” blades until they cannot be sharpened any further, and then toss them. I have not thought of a way to recycle .... unlike wider 3/4” or 1” blades, which make good stock for scrapers and scratch stock.

Merry Christmas from Vienna

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    .... unlike wider 3/4” or 1” blades, which make good stock for scrapers and scratch stock.
    Question, when using wide bandsaw blades for scrapers do you heat treat the blade in any way or simply grind off the teeth? Some of my blades have hardened teeth.

I have a surplus of wide Woodmizer blades.

Are you vacationing in Vienna? Nice place for a holiday! A friend from the East cost of Australia told me about the dreadful heat in his area that was slowing him down.

JKJ

Hi John. Merry Christmas.

The 3/4" inch blades have been bi-metal, and I simply ground off the teeth - The ideal width for a scratch stock, especially the Stanley/LN #66, is 3/4". I generally use a belt sander. I am not concerned with the temper since I have not found this to become an issue. The wider, 1" blades have carbide teeth and these need to be brought close to width with a Dremel, and then belt sanded. I do not need to prepare much in advance, so this is not a chore. The shape is then created with chainsaw files.

Here is an example where I needed to radius the inside of a through mortice for a chair rail ..

The steel comes from a used ¾” bandsaw blade. The first task it to smooth it off. I used a diamond- and water stones. In the second picture the blade has been shaped with files …

The blade holder is a re-treaded marking gauge …

Here is the result …

And later ...

One does not need sophisticated tools for this work

Yes, Vienna over Christmas (and the past week). Off to Berlin next, and then Prague. Woodworking vicariously through the forum at present.

Regards from Vienna

Derek

....Here is an example where I needed to radius the inside of a through mortice for a chair rail ..
    Thank you. Beautiful work.

My interest in scrapers is primarily for hand-held work on woodturnings at and off the lathe. I like the thickness of the Woodmizer blades over some of my other small scrapers. I'm inspired to cut some of those up and grind some shapes.

JKJ

Dedicating a blade to resawing only is a good idea. If you use a blade for cutting curves, especially tight curves, it can heat up and take the set out of the teeth. After that, I doubt you would get a good resaw cut with that same blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Heinemann View Post
    Dedicating a blade to resawing only is a good idea. If you use a blade for cutting curves, especially tight curves, it can heat up and take the set out of the teeth. After that, I doubt you would get a good resaw cut with that same blade.
    Thanks for that Randy. Did not know that.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Brian, I re-sharpen my 1/2” blades until they cannot be sharpened any further, and then toss them. I have not thought of a way to recycle .... unlike wider 3/4” or 1” blades, which make good stock for scrapers and scratch stock.

Merry Christmas from Vienna

Derek
    Merry Christmas Derek! And what a vacation you are on! Very nice.

Thanks for the scrapers suggestion. Certainly would not have thought of that on my own. My old blades are 1/2". Maybe I'll try to resharpen them this winter. Not like I have anything to lose by trying!
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Nice work! We spent Christmas in Vienna once, had a great time. Thanks for postings, might try that - making scratch stock that is. Randy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Barger View Post
    Thanks everyone! Replaced the blade with a new one and the issue went away. Guess I’m too cheap to throw them away when I should

This can be a plague for bandsaw owners. One tends to think certain cutters should last longer than they do. I tend to think of things like bandsaw blades the same way I do car brakes. I know they are a wear part. I know I will need to replace them during the life of the machine. I know I should replace them promptly when they start to perform under par. This mindset and follow-through help me avoid dissatisfaction with my tools ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daily View Post
    Are you familiar with “blade drift”? Sometimes the blade doesn’t cut straight and you need to adjust your fence to match the angle the blade is drifting off course. That means the fence won’t be set at 90 deg to the table. There should be some screws on the fence that you can loosen to adjust the fence angle.
    There is no such thing as blade drift ... it is a sign that the saw is not properly setup/aligned.

...Yes, Vienna over Christmas (and the past week). Off to Berlin next, and then Prague. Woodworking vicariously through the forum at present.

Regards from Vienna

Derek
    Derek, the SEGWAY tour of Prague (facility on the west side of the Karluv Most bridge) was pretty awesome. Recommended. SEGWAY tours are always fun, a great way to see a lot of a city in a couple hours and much more fun than riding in a bus. If you've never ridden a SEGWAY, they are pretty easy to learn, just a few minutes practice and most people are good to go in traffic.
    Mark McFarlane