Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw won’t cut straight

Bandsaw won’t cut straight

Just bought Carter guides for my 14 inch ShopFox bandsaw. Never was able to cut a straight line with the fence. Thought the new guides would help. They didn’t. The two wheels are in alignment. The guides are set per the instructions. The blade gullets are centered on the wheel. The tension on this 1/2inch blade is set close to 3/4. There is no “flutter” as the blade runs. I’ve got about 1/4 inch “play” in the blade. What the heck am I doing wrong? Help?

Are you using a new blade?
    Aj

You may just have a dull blade especially if you’ve been cutting curves.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Are you familiar with “blade drift”? Sometimes the blade doesn’t cut straight and you need to adjust your fence to match the angle the blade is drifting off course. That means the fence won’t be set at 90 deg to the table. There should be some screws on the fence that you can loosen to adjust the fence angle.

Try with a new blade, if the problem goes away it is that your blade is unequally dull, if it stays then there is something deeper to dig into.
    Zach

The single most common user error is to push the wood too hard and too fast into the blade. Even well set up equipment will fail.

Regards from Vienna

Derek

Thanks everyone! Replaced the blade with a new one and the issue went away. Guess I’m too cheap to throw them away when I should

Now I am and it works perfectly. Thank you!

Blog Entries
    I rip on my 10" table saw using a carbide blade. If I carefully match the halves, the joint is not at all unsightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Barger View Post
    Thanks everyone! Replaced the blade with a new one and the issue went away. Guess I’m too cheap to throw them away when I should
    You said you have a new BS so I presumed the blade was new. Glad you got it figured out- thanks for posting the solution!

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Barger View Post
    Dull blade will get you every time! I'm also too cheap to throw a blade away when it gets dull. I use 1/2" 3tpi blades which are easy to sharpen. I sharpen several times before discarding the blade. The cut is sometimes not as clean after the way I sharpen (touching the side of a little dremel metal-cutting disk to the front of each tooth) but it always cuts well and cuts as smooth as I need for processing green log sections into turning blanks.

bandsaw_sharpen.jpg

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Dull blade will get you every time! I'm also too cheap to throw a blade away when it gets dull. I use 1/2" 3tpi blades which are easy to sharpen. I sharpen several times before discarding the blade. The cut is sometimes not as clean after the way I sharpen (touching the side of a little dremel metal-cutting disk to the front of each tooth) but it always cuts well and cuts as smooth as I need for processing green log sections into turning blanks.

bandsaw_sharpen.jpg

JKJ
    Just for fun I thought I would try to sharpen the blade that came with my bandsaw (not a quality blade at all) and after about 20 teeth I gave up. I'm usually cheap but the monotony would of drove me nuts sharpening 150 teeth. If it was a carbide blade I would have done it but anything less, never.

Tangent question to thread

So, what does everyone do with their old blades? I have a couple to discard but putting them in the trash doesn't feel right, and our recycle service is pretty particular about what they take.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I fold them flat (with the help of pliers) and put them in the trash, but honestly, they could go in our recycling, too. Neither trash nor recycling is physically handled by humans when it's picked up at the street. The truck lifts the containers up and dumps them inside itself...driver is seated on the curb side and doesn't even leave his/her seat unless there's something "bulk" to pick up.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    Just for fun I thought I would try to sharpen the blade that came with my bandsaw (not a quality blade at all) and after about 20 teeth I gave up. I'm usually cheap but the monotony would of drove me nuts sharpening 150 teeth. If it was a carbide blade I would have done it but anything less, never.
    The 3tpi blades for my 18" Rikon have 426 teeth. It feels like it takes me 15 minutes or so to sharpen but I don't look at the clock. I've sharpened this type of blade many times over the years.

Maybe it's a zen thing.

JKJ