Thread: Good foam brushes?

Good foam brushes?

I like to occasionally use foam brushes for a small project. But I have never used one the held up for more than a few minutes of use. So I’m asking if someone could recommend a brand or source for a quality foam brush. Ones that can be used for all finishes, WB, solvent base, or shellac, etc. Thanks

Bernie, unfortunately, I have not found any that will hold up to any solvent based finish. Foam and solvents do not mix too well. Not saying there isn't one, I've just haven't found any.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

In addition to what Steve mentioned, it's really gotten harder to find the foam brushes that have the internal plastic "spine" that I always found helped with durability.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I use them quite a bit. The best I have found are Jen foam brushes. They hold up to oil based liquids better than any other foam brush I have tried, and they do have the internal plastic spine. Under $12.00 for 48 1" brushes - just Google Jen foam brushes.
    "A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths."
    -Steven Wright.

JEN foam brushes work well for WB and OB products. I've never found one that can stand up to DNA (shellac) for more than a few seconds.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    JEN foam brushes work well for WB and OB products. I've never found one that can stand up to DNA (shellac) for more than a few seconds.

John
    You're right! I never use them for shellac - they disintegrate in a few seconds. I think all foam brushes do the same.
    "A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths."
    -Steven Wright.

Shellac wouldn't be a product I'd want to apply with a foam brush anyway...shellac gets applied very differently than other finishes, technique wise. Thanks for the reference to the JEN product!
    --

I do most of my finishing with Jen foam brushes and so far have used only oil based finishes. You can find them on Amazon and if you check regularly, they do have some pretty good sales.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Will check out Jen foam brushes. This is the beauty of SMC, in the multitude of counselors there is wisdom the good Book says, or should say if it doesn't. Thanks

I ordered a box of the 1" Jen brushes from Amazon, Bernie, and should have them in a day or two now. I can then stop "forgetting to buy them" when I hit the home center occasionally and it's likely they will be better quality, too. Twelve bucks for 48 is certainly affordable, too.
    --