Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with wood ID please

Help with wood ID please

I got to my shop this morning and found this pile of logs out in the parking lot. Bowls and boxes and stuff started going through my head. I think it's white Oak but not sure with no leafs.
    The logs are about 2 or 3 feet in diameter. Any thoughts on what it is and would it be worth pursuing?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
    Don

Don,

From the Bark it sure looks like White Oak to me..........a little hard to tell from a picture, but if I were a betting man, that would be my choice. Great picture, by the way, it sure makes it easy to see the bark, and that is the tell tale sign that makes me think you are right. White Oak has a bark all to it's own, kind of a greyish coloration. I don't turn, but I would think it would be OK for that. I know it makes very good firewood!

Thanks Kevin

I have since talked to the property manager and they said I could have it . Seems somebody dumped it there illegally. But there is more to it than the picture shows. I will have to get my fork truck around there and get it loaded and home. I don't care about the firewood aspect of it. Just if I can make something out of it.
    Don

Don. . .

It's Wood, It's Round & It's Free
    TURN AWAY

Quote Originally Posted by Don Farr
    I have since talked to the property manager and they said I could have it . Seems somebody dumped it there illegally. But there is more to it than the picture shows. I will have to get my fork truck around there and get it loaded and home. I don't care about the firewood aspect of it. Just if I can make something out of it.
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

Surprise!

Don, it looks like you have had a visit from.........

THE WOOD FAIRY!

I you have ever cut Oak before, you will know the distinct smell the wood has. Put the 'ol sniffer to work, and see if it smells like Oak, but I am most certain it is. It also appears that there may be some spalting going on around the Heartwood, which would be a bonus. I say haul it home, and TURN, TURN, TURN!
    Last edited by Kevin Gerstenecker; 07-08-2003 at 8:29 PM.

I got to my shop this morning and found this pile of logs out in the parking lot. Bowls and boxes and stuff started going through my head. I think it's white Oak but not sure with no leafs.
    The logs are about 2 or 3 feet in diameter. Any thoughts on what it is and would it be worth pursuing?
    Looks like hicory bark to me.

Robert Henderson Guest
    Looks like hickory to me as well.
    Last edited by Robert Henderson; 07-09-2003 at 9:12 AM.

Smells like hickory too! But if I don't get some help here this morning it will be GONE.
    Don

Lakewood, Ohio. Western burb of Cleveland.

I don't agree...

with White Oak or Hickory. White Oaks generally have bark that almost looks like chips, not ridges (Red Oaks have ridges or flatter barks) Hickories has larger flake type bark (like Shag bark).

Tree identification is kind of a hobby of mine. My bet would be Ash (white or black) from the looks of the bark and bark ridges.

A friend of mine is a cancer researcher at a local college. He also is a Botany prof. He's considered a real tree/plant/wildlife identification expert - neat guy - he's also my sons Scout Master. Anyway, if you can get a couple more pics, I'd be happy to show them to him if you'd like to see what he thinks.

Oak and Ash have very different smells when cut (to me anyway). Cut it and see what it smells like. I think Ash really stinks when cut. I'm currently using Ash for my kitchen drawers and I think it really stinks when your cutting it (compared to oak).

Just my opinion.
    Joe

Thanks for the offer Joe, but let me see if I am going to be able to get it first. They told me that I had to move it this morning or they would haul it off. None of my help has showed up yet.
    Don

I seriously under estimated the size of these logs. How about 7 to 8 feet in circumference. I am not going to be able to haul it all. Oh well! I pick out some of the nicer pieces.
    Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by Don Farr; 07-09-2003 at 12:26 PM.
    Don

My bets on hickory

Not shell bark, but what I call pig nut hickory. It has a smoother bark unlike the shell bark hickory. Looks like theres some spalting there. Ought to make some great looking bowls. Steve

Well I got two pick-up truck loads and all that would fit in the back of a Ford Explorer and there is still some left.
    I am still trying to figure out what it is for sure. Joe said something about Ash stinking. I drove the Explorer yesterday and I thought I would barf. It was 90 degrees yesterday and I had the windows down. I don,t think the picture shows the bark very well.
    The bark was very thick and long deep ridges.
    Don

I seriously under estimated the size of these logs. How about 7 to 8 feet in circumference.

Does Ash get that big?

If you take a close up picture of the end grain, or look at it, you can tell very quickly if it is oak or not. Oaks have meduliary rays radiating out from the pith. These are the "ray fleck" in quartersawn oak. Also, once you split a piece, it should be more obvious as well when looking at side grain.

Todd.