Thread: Where to get good plywood in Little Rock Arkansas?

Where to get good plywood in Little Rock Arkansas?

Hi Folks,

I am looking to build some higher quality cabinets for my workshop. I am tired of working with the big box store plywood. Having trouble with voids and with panels being nowhere near flat.

What can I look for in the Little Rock area and what should I ask for. I read a lot about baltic and russian birch, but do not know if it is better and available in my area. I am looking for 1/2" and 3/4". I am aware the nominal thickness is a little less.

Thx,
    Frank
    Last edited by Frank Caserta; 12-31-2019 at 7:28 PM. Reason: Punctuation

I can't help you with locating a source in your area, but if you cannot find one, try a local cabinet shop. They may be willing to sell you some of their stock or may even let you in on one of their orders to save you money and help with the shipping cost. Can't hurt to ask. I have been dealing with a cabinet shop that is about a 2 1/2 hour drive hour round trip drive for me, but I don't have a source close by. I buy some real nice S4S lumber from him at wholesale prices. It's the wood he buys for his face frames and is generally of good quality. He doesn't charge much over his cost because we try and send him business. We scratch his back, he scratches ours.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Google is your friend. Google hardwood suppliers in Little Rock. From there start making phone calls.

Ask for domestic plywood - a good hardwood/plywood supplier will have a few grades to choose from. I prefer Columbia Forest Products, but will settle for other domestic brands if Columbia isn't available. I occasionally buy 1/2" Russian (Baltic) birch, but try to avoid it as I sometimes have delamination problems with it. I won't buy import plywood for the same reasons you are fed up with big box store sheet goods.

I Googled plywood supplliers in Little Rock and got 15 companies. Paxton was one of them. Call them!

I highly recommend poling your local cabinet makers for who they source quality materials from. Why? It's not just about quality and price, but many of these suppliers deliver material and are very happy to get more customers on "the route". I don't buy often because I'm a small operation both personally and business-wise relative to sheet goods, but one reason I'm using Industrial Plywood out of Reading PA is because of the recommendation of Ed, my cabinetmaker neighbor across the street. Deliveries are Tuesdays and Thursdays for this area, the driver is a great guy and very helpful with loading into my shop and I have what I want, sometimes next day even. There are undoubtedly similar businesses in your area. I agree with the "domestic" recommendation (which really means North America) as the quality tends to be better. Actual sheet goods distributors also offer you a lot more choices for face quality combinations...you can pay a little more for really nice veneer on the show side but get a more economy backing on the other side if that works or "really nice" both sides when warranted or a variety of shop grades. Pre-finished is also available which is wonderful for cabinet work...no more shooting finish inside of boxes and time savings. Some distributors can also provide custom layups for premium species when you want or need that for a project. And yes, many are very happy to cater to small operators including hobbyists. There may be a small minimum for free delivery ($300 for my supplier), but with planning that can work. And getting to know folks at local shops can also mean being able to ask them to add a sheet to their order when you only need one for a buck or three extra.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim. I just found out one of my neighbors is a semi retired cabinet maker. I am going to talk to him about where he sources his wood.
    Thx,
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Caserta View Post
    Thanks Jim. I just found out one of my neighbors is a semi retired cabinet maker. I am going to talk to him about where he sources his wood.
    Thx,
    Frank
    I think you'll find that conversation to be valuable!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...