Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Floor finishing questions

Floor finishing questions

I'll combine two questions in one thread--these come from suggestions made by folks in a previous thread I started.

1. Can anyone recommend a commercial floor sander that is good at collecting dust and that can be rented? I think the flooring guy my contractor uses has the old style that I think is a drum sander with a vacuum bag, but supposedly there are newer ones that are better at collecting dust. I'd even be willing to pay extra to rent it to keep things cleaner.

2. On the advice of many here, we've opted for a water-based poly for the floors. Any recommendations? Any to avoid?

Thanks,
    Rob

RE:Floor finishing questions

I've never posted here before, but my wife and I put in two rooms of flooring during the spring. We used a rented drum sander, which did a good job of collecting dust. Just empty often. We put up plastic to help keep the dust out of other areas.

Then we used Bona Mega water based. Very nice stuff. Be sure to order the applicators. My wife put down the finish and she said the applicators made all the difference.

HTH

jim

Thanks Jim, and let me be the first to welcome you to SMC.
    Rob

Contact your local hardwood flooring distributors for floor sanders. They often have rentals or can direct you to a retailer that does. Since their equipment is used by professionals it will tend to be better quality than a general purpose rental yard.

I have used the Bona Traffic and it's great! Easy to use, amazing adhesion, and very durable. Figure over $90 a gallon and, imo, worth every penny. My understanding is the Mega is also an excellent product. You might contact Bona and ask about Tabor test results, it's a standardized testing procedure for durability.

Remember a waterborne coating will take at least a week to fully cure.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd McKinlay
    Contact your local hardwood flooring distributors for floor sanders. They often have rentals or can direct you to a retailer that does. Since their equipment is used by professionals it will tend to be better quality than a general purpose rental yard.

I have used the Bona Traffic and it's great! Easy to use, amazing adhesion, and very durable. Figure over $90 a gallon and, imo, worth every penny. My understanding is the Mega is also an excellent product. You might contact Bona and ask about Tabor test results, it's a standardized testing procedure for durability.

Remember a waterborne coating will take at least a week to fully cure.
    Thanks Lloyd. I saw the Bona Traffic mentioned favorably in another post. How many coats did you put on?

Others have said it. Empty the bag when it's 1/2 full. It's not the drum sander that makes all the dust, it's the final 'closing the grain' with the buffer and 120 disc.

They have newer buffers that hook up to vacs. Haven't tried them so I can't comment.

Mega is easy easy easy to put down. I use a weighted t bar and 18" applicator. I use a foam brush for the corners and hard to reach places. Don't bother with their edge applicators. It's a waste of money. Just use the 18" t bar and pad with the brush and you'll be fine. Just make sure you keep your edge wet.

The reason I like mega the most is that you don't need to buff out between coats. Most other finishes tell you to use a 120, or a maroon pad (that's what I use) between coats.

You could probably pour mega on the floor, walk away, and have it look great 2 hours later without even spreading it out. It's really that easy.

Make sure your furnace is off while you're finishing, and for probably 1-2 hours after you're done.

Vacuum your walls before your final tack. Don't forget the tops of doors and windows, etc.

No carpets or area rugs for 1 week. 3 days at very minimum. It's 90% cured after 3 days, so if you can wait that long to move furniture back, so much the better.

Good luck.

Good info. The Bona products are easy to use. I redid a small room with Traffic using a short nap roller and paint brush. Looked great.

Thanks. I should emphasize that we are not doing this ourselves, the flooring person is doing it, but my contractor said that if there is a specific product we want him to use, he could probably do that. I am waiting for him to get back to me with what he usually uses for water-based poly.

The flooring is tentatively scheduled for next week--the week before my wife's due date (our first). We will likely stay with friends for a few days, the hospital for a few, then home, and we wouldn't need to be in that area for a while anyway, so it should give the finish time to cure. I was mostly concerned with dust and fumes.

If you're not doing it, then just tell him to use whatever water based product he wants to. It will make it easier on him. He can use what he's used to and that should make it a better end product.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Shank
    If you're not doing it, then just tell him to use whatever water based product he wants to. It will make it easier on him. He can use what he's used to and that should make it a better end product.
    Frankly, I would directly contradict this statement. I have a brand new house where the builder talked us into finish on site hardwood floors vs pre-finished (brazilian Cherry) cause it would be a better finish. I don't know what they used but the finish sucks. Since it's my entire first floor and the stairs in both directions, I basicly have to move out to have it re-done (which the builder won't do despite the fact that there are face nails not set and filled, one spot where they managed to spill paint on the floor between coats and finish over it, and numerous other 'defects'). But, I digress. The reason I say this is that 2-3 days after I moved in, I slid a computer case with nylon feet about 2.5 feet across the floor. A nub on on one of the nylon feet scratched through the finish to the bare wood!

So no, don't leave it to the contractor. If you have a preference, state it. Discuss it with the contractor and then make a joint decision but don't leave it to their desires. You could get burned like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Shank
    Sam,
    In your experience, does a water-based poly finish need more coats than an oil-based one? How many do you usually apply?
    Rob

Bona finish... where are you guys getting it?

I was under the impression that Bona sells only to professional flooring guys. Where are you buying the stuff?

Sorry to side-jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Reddy
    I was under the impression that Bona sells only to professional flooring guys. Where are you buying the stuff?

Sorry to side-jack.
    Ditto, I looked all over the web and could not find were to buy it. I have 2 rooms I would like to redue so any info will help.

Purchase at hardwood flooring distributors. Different distributors have different policies about who can buy, may have to try a couple. Find a list of distributors at www.bona.com.

I guess what I am going to say will upset the apple cart but here it goes: I was a contractor for many years, have a good bit of experience with hardwood floors and finishes.

That being said, I would ABSOLUTELY specify what finish the guy is using. A contractor is going to use what will create the best finish with a reasonable amount of effort. You may find a finish that needs more coats, is harder to apply, whatever but it may last longer or give a better look. TELL him to use what you want!

I can't give you suggestions on water-based finishes for two reasons: I would never suggest that anyone use a water-based finish and therefore I don't know of any good ones.

I know you are commited to a water based finish but consider this - put aside claims of durability, ease of use, smell, etc. Bottom line: Water based finishes look AWFUL!!!

Try to find a contractor that uses this:

www.oneidavac.com

I have no direct experience with it but other have told me it is great.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

Phil