Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Workshop lux readings before and after new LED tubes were installed.

Hi Gustav, check with the local inspection authority before you remove the ballasts.

In Canada electrical equipment requires an electrical approval and removing the ballasts negates the approval.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. I converted my T12's to T8 a few years ago.

It's good to know that my perception was correct. I have slowly been replacing my fluorescent bulbs with LED. I put more than enough lights in the shop when I built it and have mostly been putting one LED bulb in each fixture instead of the two T8s. Seems to be about the right amount of light. Also liking the quieter shop, my fixtures and ballasts were cheap and buzzy.
    Jay St. Peter

Appreciate the info Rod!

As it stands, I don't think I'm quite ready to spend that kind of money on so many LED tubes just yet. My fluorescent tubes last a long time and are more or less adequate in brightness.
    The kw/h electrical costs however do suck big time!

If the prices keep dropping in the next few years, or if my fluorescent fixtures/ballasts crap out, then I will definitely be looking at LED's.

I have several professional licensed electrician friends who help me out with advice or the occasional electrical installation. If I do ever get around to changing to LED's, I'll check with one of them regarding
    the ballasts.

I also have the latest Canadian electrical code book, and refer to it often to make sure my electrical is done right and is up to code. I like it when things are safe and work properly.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Gustav, check with the local inspection authority before you remove the ballasts.

In Canada electrical equipment requires an electrical approval and removing the ballasts negates the approval.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. I converted my T12's to T8 a few years ago.

You’re welcome. My shop is all T8, not much point in converting to LED yet.

Regards, Rod