Thread: Over blade dust collection for table saw.

Over blade dust collection for table saw.

I finally took some time to put in multiple drops for my DC and lastly to add over blade dust collection. I put a 3 inch port on my 5 inch line to the table saw, after the blast gate, and ran 3 inch flexible hose up to the home made collector around the blade. It is loosely based upon a design by Justin Depew (youtube). I like the way his pivots out of the way when you can't use it. It is mostly made of scrap. It doesn't get everything but helps to minimize what goes on top of the saw. Small scraps sometimes go into it too.overhead 1.jpgoverhead 2.jpgoverhead 3.jpg

Looking good. Literally in the process of building mine now.

How do you like the wing nuts? I've been debating whether to go with that, or add a counter weight or springs to offset the weight of the shoe. Now in my case, the shoe is getting heavy, since it's got a 4" port, and it's 6" x 10" x 3" of 1/4" acrylic.

Well done!

I have not used it a lot since completion but I think I will leave it set for 3/4 material most of the time. That is what I cut the most. It would probably pick up a bit more if it rode over the material but it isn't really designed for that. Setting it for a different thickness with the wing nuts takes a few seconds but isn't very difficult.

I did not put in a wider piece around the blade because I was concerned with using it on narrower rips. The hose gets in the way a bit since I am using a push stick for narrow rips.

If you can move enough air you could do what I did despite your larger shoe. But the big shoe could be a reason to try and set it up to ride over the material, like with a counterweight.

Yeah, I've got mine setup to ride over the material, not sure how well that's going to work. When I push it by hand over material it's working, but we'll see how well it works attached to the pole. I'll post some pics when it's done.

As for a wider space around the blade, I'm going to largely offset it, at which point it doesn't matter much how wide it is, through it does make that most of the duct will not be directly over the blade.

My hose is 3 inches but my shoe opening is only 1 inch wide. To transition, I just used a left over piece of snap lock pipe to make a short pipe to fit inside the hose and then flattened one end to go into the shoe. You could do the same thing with PVC using a heat gun. The size of the hose does not have to dictate the width of the shoe. But bigger hose does still get in the way a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    My hose is 3 inches but my shoe opening is only 1 inch wide. To transition, I just used a left over piece of snap lock pipe to make a short pipe to fit inside the hose and then flattened one end to go into the shoe. You could do the same thing with PVC using a heat gun. The size of the hose does not have to dictate the width of the shoe. But bigger hose does still get in the way a bit.
    Makes perfect sense. I've been looking at the excaliber/sawstop/grizzly over arm shrouds, and they don't do the narrow mount. Original design was closer to what you're talking about, but I changed my mind. Anyway, I think I'll how it goes, and adjust accordingly.

Blog Entries
    I just recently installed shark guard with 4” port, and I also collect 4” from the cabinet. My table saw is now my cleanest tool in my shop.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Just finished mine. Might tweak it a little bit, but it's basically done.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....43#post2991243