Thread: One more dumb cab saw question

One more dumb cab saw question

Altho I can't promise it will be my last.

Do I need to clean the grease off the acme screws on the trunnions or is it better to leave it for lubrication? I imagine that some sawdust will get on it and get caked up which I'll need to clean off as part of maintenance. If I leave it, do you guys spray any sort of lubricant on the screws to facilitate ease of movement when doing maintenance down the road? Thx.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Grease good!!!!!
    When it gets dirty clean and replace or use a dry lubricant.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

With that smile on Tylers face I think he means BACON grease. If you got the time Gary go ahead and clean it and relubricate with a dry lube.

Merry Christmanshanakwansa

One more dumb cab saw question

They make a spray silicone lubricant that goes on wet & turns dry that works great.

Oh by the way I've never seen a smart cabinet saw.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Bart or anyone, can you give me a name for the lube (other than bacon grease).
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Herrmann
    Here you go.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

i don`t permit anything that contains silicone in the shop! that stuff will cause the most horrid finishing nightmares i`ve ever seen! and it has a way of showing up at the worse times, but murphy is my governing force so take my opinion for what it`s worth.......02 tod

Teflon like spray

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Herrmann
    I found some spray at the blue borg with the 3 in 1 oil and WD40 and the like. I sprayed it on the rack & pinion(?) and bushings. Quieted the operation and seemed to work. Graphite would be another option.

Curt

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    i don`t permit anything that contains silicone in the shop! that stuff will cause the most horrid finishing nightmares I've ever seen! and it has a way of showing up at the worse times, but murphy is my governing force so take my opinion for what it`s worth.......02 tod
    Come on Tod there is a place to use it inside the saw on the mechanicals. I find that I can take the blade off & spray it inside the saw & not ever get it on the top. It's not like I am standing back with a 2" fire hose & just hosing the whole saw down.

Quote Originally Posted by Tod evans
    i don`t permit anything that contains silicone in the shop! that stuff will cause the most horrid finishing nightmares i`ve ever seen! and it has a way of showing up at the worse times, but murphy is my governing force so take my opinion for what it`s worth.......02 tod
    If tod did not bring this up I would have . Silicones are a no no..Even though bart is very careful, these little buggers will spread out in the air over time and redeposit themselves every place. My day job involves designing and building military systems and we have ( as do any folks in our line of work) a complete prohibition on silicones. I know that they seem innocent enough, but they really cause incredible nightmares.

Lou

i understand that bart and i never meant to imply that you where. i have my wife and teens in my shop frequently and if i where to have even wd-40 in the shop it would somehow end up ruining my day. my shop lubricants are mainly,grease for bearings and gears and plain ol` wax, that way when family members contribute to murphy i can usually put a lid on it. please don`t take offence bart, i honestly wasn`t trying to imply anything about your use of silicone, only my aversion to it...tod

Gary,

I left the grease on mine. After afew weeks, most of it seemed to get absorbed by the sawdust. After 6 months, the gear started squeeking when I raised or lowered the blade. The gear was bone dry. Much to my suprise, it was also very clean.

I bought a can of Rennaisance wax based on many comments that I've read on the forums. (It is as good as they say it is, BTW.). I just wiped my finger across the surface of the wax in the can, and then reached in and wiped the thin film on my finger across the top the gear threads. I did that 3 times and I didn't think I put enough wax on it to do anything at all. I cranked the blade up and down a few times after that, and I can't believe how smooth it makes the adjustment wheel feel when I crank it. The gear still looks clean and dry, but it feels like it's all greased up. I looked at it after I read this thread to see if any sawdust had accumulated on the gears since I did that (about a week - lots of red oak has been cut since I did it). I'm happy to report that there is none at all...

Mike

13. White Lightening

I have used the bike chain lube before on my current saw. Its a parrafin wax based lube which is essentially dry does not tend to pick up much dirt and dust and lubricates well. The product I use is called White Lightening and its sold in bike shops (either human powered or gasoline powered). Works really well and doesn't have any silicon or other petrolium based products in it.

Spray on white lithium grease is the stuff I like to use. Goes on wet and dries white....saw dust will not stick to it. ~ $3
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

So I'm all wet & silicone shouldn't be use & I'll bow to that advice. I had heard that white lithium grease was good so I guess now is the time to try it.