Thread: State B4 spindle sander

State B4 spindle sander

I just got one of these in my shop last night. I am wondering how to remove spindles. I did find an owners manual online and printed it off however there is no mention of how to remove spindles. I have learned that there are two different styles of spindle and do not know which I have. Anyone have experience with these ? I also found a website for State manufacturing company,are they actually still in business ?

I figured out my spindle. It is the older style with a taper similar to but not a morse #2. Has a hollow tube with a threaded drawbar to hold it in place.

Hmmmm, if yours has the threaded drawbar its the newer style. My understanding is the older ones just relied on the taper. I have the newer style as well and it came with a pickle fork attached via chain. Not sure why, I've never needed it, but seems useful for the older non-threaded style.

good luck,
    JeffD

Jeff I thought that mine was older,but what do I know ? I just got this machine in my shop,I had purchased it sight unseen and had a friend pick it up for me. He lives six hours away so it had been sitting in his garage for the last five months. All I have found are the two types of spindles one as I described mine above and the other has what looks like the thread portion of a bolt at the bottom of the taper. I would assume these are solid ,not drilled through like the one I have. Jeff do you know if both of the spindles I have described will work in my sander ?

I couldn't say for sure.... may want to ask the owwm guys about that. I would think logically they'd have the same spindle taper.... but just b/c something makes sense to me doesn't mean much

If it has the threaded portion below its a draw bolt style like you have.... if not my understanding is its just the taper, nothing threaded at all. I have the threaded version so am familiar with it, haven't ever handled the non-threaded so take it for what its worth.

good luck,
    JeffD

I have read every post on OWWM that I can find about this sander. I found a guy on the auction site selling "new"spindles for $125 each. I plan to take mine to a machine shop and see what they say. If I can not find something relatively affordable I will just buy 3-4 more rubber sleeves to use on the spindle I have for different sizes.

Do you need the additional spindles now? I ask as I have a full set but rarely use most of them. You may find in time that you only have use for several sizes, so may be worth holding off spending until you use it for awhile with whatever spindle it came with? Or not.... just a thought.

JeffD