Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hand planed floor.

Prashun, I think both pics show show clean-ups in the studio where they do the "moon landings". Call Buzz Aldren, he
    loves to talk about how they fake that stuff !!

Blog Entries
    Great work Mark, looks like it was a great cardio workout.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks all

It was good workout, maybe overkill. With handplaning almost all muscles are active, something like rowing.
    Tradiitonal tools are modern, they are all wireless.

Mark, neanderthals here are in awe!

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I'm not sure about that. I think he was the first. When was that picture taken, Warren? Just because of the way they are dressed, doesn't mean they didn't do that AFTER Mark did his. I am skeptical of that picture.
    It's from "The Good old" days, when they walked uphill in the snow to and from school.

Kudos.

What finish was applied?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Almeidus View Post
    The floor of the mountain house was in bad shape from the previous owner, so I thought i will do the flooring manualy, atm couldnt afford for someone to do the job. Also I had a one year break from woodworking and this was kinda excuse to do it with planes and compensate for the entire year break .
    Attachment 427279Attachment 427280Attachment 427278Attachment 427281Attachment 427277Attachment 427282Attachment 427283Attachment 427284

Of all the planes, the block plane fot used the most.
    How did you deal with tearout?

Thanks Jim. I used 3 coats water based. Dont have many options here.

Where the knots were, mostly those places were raised. First I used spokeshave to remove the high knot spots. Also the block plane is bevel up and was doing better job then bevel down planes.
    There were dozen small cracks but covered them with epoxy or glue and sawdust.

Problem was, the floor wasnt straight, there were big curvers and bumpy and small holes as you can see on the second picture. It was damaged from the previous owner prety much. Scraper would have done better job where the small holes were, but I dont have one.
    Last edited by Mark Almeidus; 03-04-2020 at 4:40 AM.

Congrats on a job well done.... I have not hand planed a floor, but back in the 90's I scraped down appx 500 sqft of hardwood flooring, after following a piece of shitty advice when varnishing the floor... The varnish had virtualy no adhesion to the previous UV hardened lacquer, and since the flooring was virtually new, a full sanding was no option, so down on my knees was really the only logical option.... What really bugged me was that the advice was given by a factory consultant....