Thread: Windows 7 and Security Essentials

Windows 7 and Security Essentials

I remember back when XP died, at the same time MS killed off all the cool Windows 'helpers' for XP, like the nice photo displayer and editor (forget what it was called), and they also killed off Security Essentials, which forced me (us) into using aftermarket antivirus programs.

Just got to thinking about all my Win7's, and Security Essentials is still working fine on all of them-- Does anyone know if/when MS plans to kill it off for the Win7's?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Kevin, It is still "working", just like your Win 7, but Microsoft stopped supporting it in January 2020. It is providing you little to no protection at this point, as there are no security updates, thus no recognition of any newer security threats.

Security Essentials is still working and updating just fine on my old 7 machine. Have not been able to find anything about an end of life for it unlike win 7.
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Back when XP was killed, Security Essentials for XP was killed too, as was every other 'Essentials' for XP. The photo essentials I had still worked, but no more downloads of it for different computers. But the day after XP died a NO ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE warning popped up. Pretty cheapskate IMO...

But here's a shot of my SE I took just now, seems it's still updating...
    msse.jpg
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Security components require constant updating. It's really not surprising that when support ends for a product that stops too. Not surprising at all. If you're using an out of support product, you take on 100% of any security issue ownership and rightly so. Patching these kinds of issues is not trivial.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Here ya go:

"Windows 7 Home users who protect their systems with the security software Microsoft Security Essentials will soon have to find a different product to protect their devices as Microsoft won't support the software anymore after support for the operating system ends.

Microsoft ends support for Windows 7 on January 14, 2020, the January 2020 Patch Day. The company won't release updates anymore after that date for Home users. Organizations have options to extend support by up to three years by paying Microsoft per device (small businesses) or per user (Enterprises)."

Don't know what to say other than mine updated last week on 2 different laptops.
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Scott - That's good that they're still updating. It is possible that MS is back-pedaling on this, as they did with XP. They tend not to openly publish it when they change their mind.

Microsoft's official word on Security Essentials for Windows 7 is as follows:

Microsoft Security Essentials reached end of service on January 14, 2020 and is no longer available as a download. Microsoft will continue to release signature updates (including engine) to service systems currently running Microsoft Security Essentials untill 2023.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ity-essentials

Derek