Thread: So I have a burl, now what?

So I have a burl, now what?

So I was given this oak burl yesterday. It is about 20" in diameter. I have never prepped a round burl for turning, so I figured I would ask before carving. My inclination is to cut it in half along the trunks long axis and take it from there. What do you all think? Thanks for the input.

burl.jpg

Wow, that’s a dandy of a burl.
    That’s what I would do, and when you get it all packed up I’ll let you know where to send it

Most of the burl grain will be in the parts that extend wider then the trunk. Keep that in mind when you cut it and turn it.

So I made the cut as planned. It is solid all the way through with no surprises. It looks very interesting. I put anchorseal on it for now as I do not have time to turn right now.
    IMG_1365.jpg

Nice, Personally I would make a live edge bowl from one side. If You have a corer or a friend with one, you could get multiples. I would section the other half for other projects. That's just my 2 pennies worth. Wait, My advised might be overpriced.
    I've got lots of practice at making firewood!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Darrah View Post
    Nice, Personally I would make a live edge bowl from one side. If You have a corer or a friend with one, you could get multiples. I would section the other half for other projects. That's just my 2 pennies worth. Wait, My advised might be overpriced.
    Ha!

Yes, Brian lucked out with a nice burl!

I would immediately cut it up into smaller turning blanks, seal well, and let them dry before use. But that, like almost everything else in woodturning, depends on what you like to make and how you work.

JKJ

It’s fairly dry now but I’m too busy to turn. I have a coring system so my plan is to cut a few bowls from each half. Thank you for the input.