Thread: Sanding paste

Sanding paste

Today I'm going to show you how to make your own sanding / polish paste

several people ask about it, so now is the time:-)

What do you need:

5 part mineral oil (3000g)
    1 part beeswax withe (600g)
    1part diatomaceous earth (600g)

https://youtu.be/oKv8IeuTg9g

Hope you enjoy it

Kind greetings
    Roger

I’ve never used sanding paste for several reasons.
    I always wet sand in higher grits to keep dust down and the paper clear from clogging longer. I’m assuming paste was created to keep dust down since most people wipe it off with solvent.
    Which is another reason. I don’t want to wipe the piece down with a solvent to remove excess oil and wax and take the chance of ruining the piece. A lesson I learned with certain types of acrylic and DNA.
    I never settle on a finish until the piece is complete so I never wanted to contaminate the surface with oils/wax and create adhesion problems.
    Finally, if I’m polishing with wax it’s always the final step and on top of my finish, never under.
    I’m always willing to learn something new so if my points aren’t valid I’d love to hear other people’s thoughts.

The diatomaceous earth I buy by the 50 lb bag is far too fine for sanding. Maybe it would be good for a polishing paste.

Sorry, I didn't have time to watch the video. (I seldom watch videos.)

JKJ

Looks like the OP uses a rag for polishing. Is that a proper procedure when the lathe is spinning?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn C Roberts View Post
    Looks like the OP uses a rag for polishing. Is that a proper procedure when the lathe is spinning?
    I didn't watch the video but a general warning about rags is appropriate. I do often use strips of cotton cloth to apply friction polish on the lathe but they are about 1" x 2" and unable to catch the fingers and pull them into the spinning work.