Thread: No Tail Vise? No problem. Did I invent this?

No Tail Vise? No problem. Did I invent this?

Lot's of plans out there if one is capable of planning ahead (I'm not) and LV will sell you a fixture for $65, but...

...if you're like me, with simple needs and the scrap box always yields something an inch too short or long to make the Wonder Pup work, this is the
    < $10 (not counting the pilfered pipe clamp) answer.
    IMG_4875.jpg
    IMG_4876.jpg

The 5" Nipple unscrews in seconds when the bruise on your hip get's too tender after banging into it several times and the 2 inches of travel almost always allows proper "dogging".

Clever boy
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I like that.

That's a really nice solution...and it can be adapted in multiple ways including getting that threaded base embedded so the end of the bench is useable to support material being held if necessary. I can think of multiple places where this kind of idea could be very helpful.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That is a nice and inexpensive solution. Only problem I see is that it relies on screws sunk into end-grain, with the pressure wanting to pull them out when the vise is used. It may loosen or fail over time.

Blog Entries
    Cool idea but, not new . . .

LV Pipe Vise.JPG . new-fangled-wb-vise-detail.JPG

The lowly pipe clamp can become a valuable ally in the hands of a clever woodworker. It is cool how good ideas show up repeatedly from individual sources faced with similar challenges. Well done.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Good idea Bill. Thanks for posting.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Good idea, you could replace the flange mounted on the end surface with a pipe coupling epoxied in the end grain so when you remove the pipe nothing sticks out.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Good idea, you could replace the flange mounted on the end surface with a pipe coupling epoxied in the end grain so when you remove the pipe nothing sticks out.
    That would be better. I had the coupling on hand and was Tried And Truing on the bench a few feet away. Didn't want to drill any 1"+ holes. I may come back to that.